+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning a very neglected AG Pool

Jacob99 is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst Jacob99 0

Default Cleaning a very neglected AG Pool

Hi everyone, I got my first pool this year and started off right using the BBB method. Everything has been going great. I test daily, keep my chlorine level around 4.5ish, my pH has been stable, Alkalinity around 80, CYA 40. I haven't needed to "Shock" my pool, or haven't needed to add any acid since my pH hasn't gotten that high. My water has been crystal clear all season and I couldn't be happier.

So now that I think I'm an expert (joking), I'm going to try and help my cousin out. He's buying a foreclosed property and should be closing next week (after 8 months...finally). It's a 24 foot round, and it is as green as the Hulk according to him. I haven't seen it yet. The pool was covered, but the cover ripped last winter, so it's been exposed to the elements with no maintenance being done on it at all. Pump and filter aren't hooked up. They were put away the last time the pool was closed, but they're in the shed. I have no idea if it's a sand, DE, or cartridge filter, but I've only used a sand filter. I'm hoping they all hook up similarly, but will have to research some more once I see what I'll be working with.

First things first, should I bring chlorine level to 20ppm, and keep it there for a few days? Would it be okay to shock the pool without the equipment hooked up? From my understanding, you shouldn't filter live algae anyway, so we probably won't need to hook it all up until the algae is dead right? Will all the dead algae just sink to the bottom of the pool? Sorry, I have zero experience with dealing with algae....
    Wilbar/Sharkline Tahitian 23,900 gallon 30' Round AG, Hayward 1HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 300# Sand Filter, Taylor K2006c.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Cleaning a very neglected AG Pool

Actually ........... you need to have your cousin come on over and register here at Pool Forum so he can learn how to take care of his pool himself. We typically don't help with pools via a third party because we find that it works best when the pool owner is the one posting. Having him register will help him learn to manage things without you having to be the 'go-between' during the process. You can be the overseer while he is learning.

He can go ahead and start scooping out as much debris as he can and he also can go ahead and start dumping in some bleach as long as he has a way to mix it in well. (A broom, oar, submersible pump, etc.)

You're a good cousin to want to help him.

He's not very computer savvy. He's old school...lol. I don't see him registering on here. I've been scoping out the stickies and searching around here and think I have enough to get him started. I was thinking I would help him out, order him a test kit, show him how to use it and the rest is up to him. We grew up together so we always help each other out hence why we're good cousins to each other.
    Wilbar/Sharkline Tahitian 23,900 gallon 30' Round AG, Hayward 1HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 300# Sand Filter, Taylor K2006c.

This is almost 2 years old but I never posted the before and after and happened to have the pic on my phone so figured I would post it up. I was proud of myself being a newbie. BBB method for the win!!

Sweet!
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread