+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are "metal out" products safe/effective to fix clear green water?

Default Are "metal out" products safe/effective to fix clear green water?

Need to remove copper from pool water which was from water from my well, which turned it clear green. are there any suggestions for metal removing products? thanks, Tony

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Are "metal out" products safe/effective to fix clear green water?

Hi tony,

Go to the main forum page, in the second section. The first set of threads there is called Water Chemistry for Intex pools. Open that up, and look at the first Stickie there, called "Before you fill your Intex-type pool with Well Water!". I don't know if you have an Intex pool or not, but the information contained in that sticky really applies to all pools with well water. It will outline your options. Then if you have more questions, please come back here and post them.

Janet

thanks Janet. Wow, lots of info there. An update on my IG vinyl pool with DE filter: Let filter run 24/7, ph dropped to 7.1 from 7.5 overnight (no rain) and Cl dropped to 3.0 after shocking 24hrs ago. Other factors remained the same CYA 30, Alk 40, Cal 30. Slowly getting less green. Keep running 24/7? Adjust pH with Borax or wait? Any opinion on this metal remover product? http://www.culator.com/

thanks,
    tony

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

We have several people on the forum who are using the Culator, and there are positive signs that it does work, although slowly. It seems to work best when HEDP is used as the metal sequestrant (I think Ben covered that in the sticky) and then the Culator is left in the skimmer for several weeks. I'm fortunate enough not to have to deal with metals in my pool, but if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't have a problem with trying it--it can't make it worse, right

I wouldn't adjust your pH just yet--metal-laden water does better with pH on the low side. If it goes below 7.0, then I would bring it up a little, but I would keep it 7.4 or lower.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread