+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clear green water

Default Clear green water

Hi. Long time member and haven't posted a problem in a long time because of the excellent advise Ive received and followed from this forum many years ago (thanks to Ben and all the great moderators btw!). But for the first time in many years, I had to add water to my pool because of a dry spell (CT) and a pool party last week for one of my kids (14 y/o) with about 45 of his friends! I'm on a well and I suspect there is some copper in my well water that has affected the pool water. I've always had some light blue coloration (copper) around some household fixtures. When I added water to the pool a few days ago it began to get green and a bit cloudy so I suspected algae (been in a heat wave and my chlorine levels got away from me) and immediately did the shock and 24/7 filter treatment which usually works great. But it cleared to light-mid green and I added more shock (CYA was a bit low ~ 30 but waiting to add more stabilizer until this green issue is resolved.) Would like some advice on the mineral issue I assume is coloring the water. I stopped filling the pool today so I will not be adding any more water. Other specs from my good ol' PS232 (with Taylor refills!):

Inground 18x36' 30k gal vinyl, Hayward DE filter
    Chlorine >30
    pH - 7.5
    Alk - 40 (little low, I'll bring that up after fixing this green water issue)
    CYA ~ 30
    Cal - 30

Thanks,
    Tony

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

Default Re: Clear green water

If you are truly having a problem with metals in the water then I believe you need to purchase a sequestrant which will bind with the metals and they will precipitate out of solution onto the pool floor. You can then vacuum them to waste. I don't have any personal experience with this though, hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along with better advice.

Tom
    20'x42' L' 41K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor feeder, bleach; Pentair 420 cartridge filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp 2 speed pump; hrs; TF-100, CYA test; city;PF:2.9

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread