+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FAQ: Using or removing PHMB (Baquacil, etc.)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Exclamation FAQ: Using or removing PHMB (Baquacil, etc.)

Using PHMB without problems

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/phmb...sanitizer.html

Official conversion guide (from Baquacil)

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/conv...-chlorine.html

FAQ: How can you use PHMB (Baquacil, Softswim, etc) successfully?

There are a few people for whom PHMB is worth the trouble and $$$, but it's very few. Usually, by the time owners are pro-active enough to be here at the PoolForum, they are usually ready to switch to chlorine.

Still, though it's very uncommon, I have encountered a few people over the past 10 years who understood both the problems with PHMB and how to do chlorine right, but who still wanted to use PHMB. That's fine with me, and I don't mind explaining how to do it, but I have no plans to release a PHMB testkit!

For what it's worth, in the entire time I've operated PoolSolutions, I've only encountered two cases of people who had problems with skin irritation when they chlorinated their pool properly. So, while I think it's possible for chlorine sensitivity to occur, it seems to be exceedingly rare with outdoor pools. (Indoor pools, or shaded pools, are another ball game entirely!)

Nevertheless, if you really want to stick with PHMB, and are willing to do what it takes, it IS possible.

Basically, it requires three things of you:
    1. You must maintain adequate levels of PHMB *and* peroxide at all times.
    2. You also must keep your filter functioning properly. With a DE filter, do NOT 'regenerate'. Instead, backwash each time. With sand filters you need to replace the sand annually, and with cartridge filters, you'll need to replace the cartridges each year.
    3. You MUST drain 40 - 60% of your pool -- all at one time -- and then replace the water. Otherwise, you WILL have problems from the buildup of the PHMB chemical residue.
    Dealers will tell you to do the first, and a few will admit you need to do the second, but almost none will tell you to do the third. You MUST do all three, EVERY year. It's a pain, and not cheap. But, if you do these two things, you'll be able to maintain 'first year' PHMB performance indefinitely.

One IMPORANT caution: draining pools is risky. Liners can be ruined; pools can pop out of the ground and so forth. Necessary precautions vary by locale and pool type. Hire a local service guy the first time, and watch him, so you can learn to to it safely.

One more caution: PHMB is NOT, so far as I can tell, an anti-viral agent. EPA tests for "sanitizer" status are outdated, and do not require testing against viruses. With home pools, the risk of transmission of viral diseases is moderate, but real. With commercial pools, it's much higher. I would not recommend ever swimming in a commercial pool or spa 'sanitized' with PHMB.

Ben
    PoolDoc
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-09-2018 at 12:55 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: FAQ: Using or removing PHMB (Baquacil, etc.)

Converting to Chlorine from Baquacil or other PHMB products
    Photo series showing a fairly easy Baquacil conversion

The Official Conversion Guide (from Zeneca / Baquacil)

A thread describing a somewhat typical conversion.

Chemicals
    6% bleach (Walmart)

10% pool bleach (Walmart)

20 Mule Team Borax (Walmart)

Muriatic Acid (Lowes) (How to use muriatic safely: http://pool9.net/ma/)

Polyquat (Amazon)

Testkits
    HTH 6-Way Test Kit from Amazon
    or Walmart.

Taylor K2006 complete
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-09-2018 at 01:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread