+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Perflex DE Filter Problem

Default Hayward Perflex DE Filter Problem

I have a Hayward Perflex DE Filter for my inground pool. I have just opened the pool for the spring. The pressure and water flow appear to be fine with the pump. However, the bump handle appears to have no pressure against it when the pump is running and when I open the filter the DE does not appear to be coating the fingers. Somehow the water flow is not going through the fingers but through somewhere else. I don't know much about the mechanics of pool equipment and I've had no problem since I've had the filter (4 years). Any suggestions as to the problem our how I could trouble shoot.

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Hayward Perflex DE Filter Problem

Please post the model of your filter. I may be able to assist as I have a couple EC65 filters.

If I had to guess without knowing your equipment, I would suspect the integrity of the diaphragm gasket is not what it should be. Do you still have DE in the filter or is it getting blown back into the pool?

Regards,

Mark

The model of the Hayward filter is an EC65 and the DE is staying in the filter and not flowing into the pool. Thanks for your help.

The bump handle attaches to a rod that goes through the plates that hold the fingers in place and it uses e-clips on each side of the plates to move the finger/plate assemply. No pressure against the bump handle could be that you are just missing an e-clip or 2 and the rod is moving freely through the assembly.

My recommendation is to take the filter apart and compare what you have against a schematic like this one: http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hyd...db/ml=100.html

Inspect all of the internal parts for integrity and see if anything jumps out at you as just not being right. If all looks good, try cleaning out the old DE and replacing it. I have not heard of bad DE before, but you may want to try getting a new bag of it and see if that helps with the coating problem.

Since your filter is holding the DE and not blowing it back into the pool (diaphragm gasket appears to be intact), I am at a loss as to how the water could go around the fingers instead of through them.

I hope this helps a little at least.

Regards,

Mark

I did as you suggested and found that a clap was missing. I replaced the clamp and the o rings just for good measure and everything seems to be working fine. I don't know why the earth wasn't attaching to the fingers, but its seems to have corrected itself. All is working fine now. Thanks alot for your suggested.

Kevin

Glad I could help get you back in business.

Regards,

Mark

+ Reply to Thread