+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool safety cover. "The Hugger Cover"?

Default Pool safety cover. "The Hugger Cover"?

I am looking for a pool safety cover that is user-friendly enough that it will be re-installed on a regular basis, i.e., while gone for a couple days, when company with small kids are visiting, etc.
    My pool is T-shaped with a couple radius corners, so it will have to be a custom fit.
    The "Hugger Cover" looks like it would fit the bill, however, I can't find any reviews or feedback on it other than from the company.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with experience using this product, and/or any additional insight on the pros and cons of various other covers.

Thank you.

Here is a link for this cover:
    http://www.rontimco.com/cvrpage.htm

Default Re: Pool safety cover. "The Hugger Cover"?

we have a loop loc cover. It looks similar. We have only put it on one time so far, not a problem with 2 people.

Casey

Hmm, so, I'm guessing by the lack of responses, that very few people have or use safety covers.

Are they simply a major hassle? I'm looking to use it regularly for the safety aspects. In addition, I figured the thermal benefits and assistance in keeping the pool clean with a solid cover would be additional motivating factors to use it daily. Are we talking 2 to 3 minutes, five, ten?

I've read that weight can be an issue with a 14 oz. per square yard cover. A cover for my pool would be approximately 900 sq. ft., so about 30 lbs. Doesn't seem to heavy. Anyone have a HyPerLite cover?

Thanks again for any input.

Chris

Chris, I checked out the site, and all I can say is "I don't know." It does seem like it would be safer than a solar blanket, but solid covers have to have pumps on them to remove rain water to keep them safe. I can't see the cover being much easier to put on than a Loop-Loc type cover, other than the fact that it floats.

Have you ever put a conventional solar cover on without a reel? They are a royal PITA. This would seem to be a bunch of material to get unfolded or unrolled.

My guess is it would sit in a shed forever because it would be a pain to install. I think I'd want to see it in use before deciding. I'm fencing mine this summer with aluminum BOCA fence for $1400-$1600 depending on what we do gate-wise (my labor).

hzz is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst hzz 1 star

I checked the site out.....I think it would be pretty difficult to install and remove that cover.
    I have the loop loc type.....the anchoring system on the loop loc looks to me to be a lot easier to deal with .

Having said that....I only use the cover over the winter.It is big,heavy, and not that easy to install and remove.
    I wouldnt rely on you using it on and off that frequently.

I have small children and that is WHY we WILL NOT put on a pool cover.

Personal opinion here -

What happens when on of the kids decides they want to swim w/o parents - but only opens one side so they are not caught - then they are under the cover - you can't see them. So when you look for them when they are missing you don't see they are in the pool - you only have 3-5 minutes to find them.

Relying on a pool cover (in my opinion) has got to be the worst way to protect a child from drowning. You need to keep children OUT OF THE POOL area - LOCKED doors (above where they can reach) - APPROVED water alarms (there are only 1 or 2) - fences without things kids can use to climb over.

I may have the total "mommy freak-out factor" here, but in FL most kids under 5 that die - do so in a residential swimming pool.

Here are some links to some safety measures:

http://www.aap.org/family/tipppool.htm

http://www.poolcenter.com/safety.htm
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

I have a loop loc safety cover. We use for when we go out of town, etc. However, the cover only comes off with a special tool, and even then is no piece of cake. The middle can hold the weight of 3 adults. If a child walks onto the cover their feet will get wet, but that it. So if used correctly, in conjunction with other precautions, this cover can help protect children from drowning. (Just my thoughts)

Casey

hzz is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst hzz 1 star

It is completely impossible for a child to open the loop loc cover if it is properly installed.

It is difficult even for an adult. My wife cannot do it. A special tool and considerable force is required.

Nothing is foolproof.....fences, alarms, nothing.

Thank you for the input everyone.

I'm trying to use the pool year around. It seems unlikely that regular removal and installation of a safety cover would be an enjoyable routine.
    Simmons99 helped point me in the right direction.

I already have an isolated and gated pool area. I am presently looking at the cost and performance differences between the "Poolguard" and "Aquaguard" sub-surface pool alarm systems. I have also requested a quote for a "Sonarguard" system, which seems to be the best of the best.

For those interested in such, here is a link to a government survey of some of these products:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/library/alarm.pdf

Once again I've picked a product without a lot of independent consumer opinions and ratings readily available, the "Aquaguard" and "Sonarguard."
    If anyone has feedback, please respond. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread