+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm back! but with a different pool.

Smile I'm back! but with a different pool.

Greetings everyone! This year we have a different pool, a different pump, filled from a different water source (still well water though) so naturally, I have a whole new set of problems and need your expertise to figure it all out.

Taylor 2006K

FILL water test:
    Ph 7.8
    TA 180
    hardness 50
    CC 0
    CYA 0 (added 1 lb stabilizer 7/11)

CURRENT am pool water test:
    ph 7.5
    TA 180
    hardness 50
    FC 9.5
    CC .5
    CYA (to soon to test again)

Things I've done, right or wrong:
    Not wanting to strain the well, it took forever to fill (about 6 days). While waiting 5 days to attach the pump I added bleach each day, as well as a little algecide & metal sequestriant here and there. Water began filling with a brownish "tea" color, but quickly turned to pale green within 1 day. As soon as the pump was started, I tried my sock filter routine that I used to do with the old pool, but this year there isn't anything showing so I quit it. The filter is white..no brown goo. Maybe due to adding sequestriant while filling? Running pump 24/7. Anyway, the water is clear, I can see the pool bottom but it's a pale green color and so far I seem to be losing a lot of chlorine overnight. I shocked the pool two nights in a row with bleach, this am I had lost about 9ppm overnight. Yesterday, I added muriatic acid which lowered the ph to 160, but this am it's back to 180. What should I do next, my friends?

I put my pool info in my "signature" but I don't see it showing up in my post...

Intex donut, 18 x 48
    Krystal Clear pump 635T, 1500 GPH
    Well water filled
    Last edited by swamp mistress; 07-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Swampster
    18' x 48" Intex donut, 5455 gal
    Krystal Clear 635T filter pump / 1500 GPH

18' round 5.5K gal Intex AG pool; 6% bleach ; Intex cartridge filter; Krystal Clear, 635T, 1500/GPH pump; 24/7 at this timehrs; Taylor K2006; well; summer: ; winter: ; ; PF:22

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: I'm back! but with a different pool.

Hi Swamp Mistress, and welcome back!! I've been wondering about you......

You're doing things right so far, except that I hope you're using Polyquat algaecide and not any of the cheaper stuff. If you're using the cheap stuff, don't add any more!!

There's a possibility that you're not getting any result on the sock filter because of the sequestrant you added. Don't forget that last time you had to run the water over a chlorine source (I think it was a trichlor puck?) in order to drop the metals out on your sock filter. You can try that and see if it gets you any results.

This year, there's a new product out that we're testing--and there is some evidence that it is actually effective--it's called a Culator, and is a small packet that you put in the skimmer, and it's supposed to attract and trap the metals that are sequestered in water. I think that the sequestrant you have to use is HEDP--Pooldoc will chime in shortly, I know--but that might help you out, too. Here is a page that he wrote for someone else on the same topic.....

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...-my-city-water

You might check and see if that helps any. Also--as long as you're still losing chlorine overnight, you need to get that chlorine up to your shock level and hold it there until the chlorine holds, to eliminate any algae that might be contributing to the green color....

I've directed lots of folks to your thread from a couple of years ago when you first found us, so that experience has helped a good number of people. Glad to see you back!
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    I've directed lots of folks to your thread from a couple of years ago when you first found us, so that experience has helped a good number of people. Glad to see you back!
    ...and I've lost count of the pool aisle customers I've directed to this site! I hope they followed through.

*update*
    I had previously added 1/2 lb stablizer via a nylon sock, thinking it was 1 lb...so realizing my mistake I put another 1/2 lb in the sock this morning, then left to run errands...hehehe came home to brown swamp water!! Kids said they'd take a raincheck on getting in.. at least I'm used to dealing with brown water..the green stumps me. Sock filter here I come...

oh..and I would not have purposely purchased another easy up pool, this one was a gift!
    Last edited by swamp mistress; 07-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Swampster

18' round 5.5K gal Intex AG pool; 6% bleach ; Intex cartridge filter; Krystal Clear, 635T, 1500/GPH pump; 24/7 at this timehrs; Taylor K2006; well; summer: ; winter: ; ; PF:22

Each year I learn something new, this year I learned I might as well let the water get to "swamp brown" color as fast as possible so I can filter it OUT rather than supressing it...it just delayed the inevitable (for me.) Obviously, I'm not concerned with staining a vinyl pool liner..i just want BLUE balanced water IN the pool, and I can do that quicker/better with the metals OUT. In just one hour the sock filter & the pump filter were dark brown and in need of changing. Hopefully, like in the past, the water will change from chocolate pudding, to light clear brown, to green, to pale green, to BLUE in less than 3 days. Once I achieve a better color, I'll post test results again to see if you can make further suggestions.

Aylad...(hanging head in shame) I've been using hth algaecide because hubby bought a GALLON of it last year by mistake. Now that I've been outed, I won't use anymore. I ordered Polyquat 60% (Nava) from Amazon today, just because they had it in stock.
    Whew! That was so freeing!
    Attached Images
    Swampster

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Well....at least it looks better than the mess you described for us a couple of years ago!!

The metal out products are broken down by chlorine, so as you know you have to keep adding them on a regular basis if you plan to use them. However, I can still link you to your first thread a couple of years ago, in case you need a refresher regarding where to go from here....

Janet

Thanks Aylad, I've already been back to my original post and laughed at myself! I swear! the water then was bubbling like crude oil... : ) So I pulled up the picture of how our water CAN look...and that's what I'm aiming for again.
    Swampster

You know how to get there....

Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Glad to see you back around the forum this season, Swamp Mistress!

I considered changing my forum name...but after looking at my water again this year, it still fits.

The good news, I didn't lose much chlorine last night.

To reiterate, when our well water was tested, we were told we have Tanins (decomposed tree bark) in our water..so not exactly sure what I'm fighting with, but the sock method seems to extract it. It's labor intensive and I have to be careful because it's like dealing with haircolor..stains everything it touches. Luckily, ascorbic acid removes the stains and I can buy vitamin c crystals @ Trader Joes.

Here is what the filters looked like this am:
    Attached Images
    Swampster

Yuk.....at least you know you're making progress!!

Janet

+ Reply to Thread