+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dirty water returns from pump/filter upon startup

Default Dirty water returns from pump/filter upon startup

We just bought a house with a pool this year. We had some problems recently getting rid of algae and cloudy water and decided to get a new filter. We installed it this past Saturday and the water finally cleared up.

I shut down the pump and filter for the first time today. When I started it back up there was dirty, cloudy water coming through for 5-10 minutes before it finally cleared up. It also did this when we first started up the system after installing the new filter, but we chalked it up to sediment in the lines since we had such a horrible time prior to purchasing the new filter...but now I'm not so sure.

We have a 40,000 gallon inground concrete pool. The filter is a sand filter using Zeo sand. We backwashed according to the directions before we began filtering. We also followed directions when filling the filter with the sand by adding water first and pouring the sand in carefully. Pressure has remained good at about 18 psi since startup on Saturday.

Any ideas?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Dirty water returns from pump/filter upon startup

Two questions for you--1)have you tried switching it to "rinse" position, turning it on, and rinsing the lines before turning it to "filter", and 2) Did you replace your multiport when you replaced the filter? If not, how long has it been since the gasket was replaced? My filter does exactly what you're describing when it needs a new gasket...

Welcome to the forum!
    Janet

Thanks for the reply.

I have not tried the rinse function. I will try that and see if it helps. The multiport/gasket is all brand new so I don't think that is contributing to this.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Try backwashing the filter, followed by a minute or two in the "rinse" position before going back to "filter", and see if that makes a difference. What size (HP) pump, and what size filter do you have?

Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sorry for the delayed reply. The bankwash then rinse function took care of it! I appreciate the tips, especially as a new pool owner and even newer sand filter owner! (We had a cartridge filter before getting this new sand filter)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Glad it worked for you!

+ Reply to Thread