+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding Cyuranic Acid to Sand Filter?

Default Adding Cyuranic Acid to Sand Filter?

Had to replace the liner in my pool so I am starting fresh.

AquaRite manual says I need 80 ppm of CYU, I figure 3kg should do the trick for now.

Question is how do I get 3kg of CYU into my pool?
    Do I just mix it in a bucket of warm water and then pour it into the pool?
    Don't really like the idea of adding it to my skimmer since I don't want to clog up the impeller in the pump. Could I just open the sand filter and pour it in that way?
    I.G. Vinyl Pool 12' by 24' approx 10,000 gal, Hayward Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, T-15 Cell.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Adding Cyuranic Acid to Sand Filter?

I always just pour mine slowly into the skimmer and never have a problem. Alternately, you can put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return jet. If you give it a squeeze once in awhile, it will help it dissolve faster.

Another method is to fill a 5 gallon Home Depot Bucket with pool water, add the CYA and cover it for a few days, stirring or mixing it every once in a while. Then pour off the disolved liquid directly into the pool, being careful not to dump the undisolved granules into the pool. Then re-fill the bucket with more pool water to dissolve the remaining granules. Repeat as necessary untill all disolved.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

I just bought some CYA today to replace what I lost with the leak. I noticed that the granules are much smaller than the previous bucket I had. I like BTG's method of pre-dissolving in a bucket. This batch actually dissolved very quickly . . . in less than an hour with a little stirring now and then. Granted, I didn't have to add 6 pounds but still, the smaller granules help make it dissolve better.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    I always just pour mine slowly into the skimmer and never have a problem. Alternately, you can put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return jet. If you give it a squeeze once in awhile, it will help it dissolve faster.
    I also just add it slowly directly into the skimmer and have never had a problems (pool installed in 2004).
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Ive found a good method that seems to work quickly.

I take a mens dress sock (shh my wife doesnt know) and fill with the cya you want to add. I take the top off my skimmer and feed the top of the sock thru the hole in the skimmer top. While holding the top of the sock, I put the top back on the skimmer to measure how long I need the sock to be to be in the flow of water, then tie a nice knot.

Takes about a day to go through 1.5lbs of conditioner this way. No need to squeeze or mess with it and easy to check.
    24' Round 52" (44"/12450gal) Deep Namco Morada - ClearWater 22" Sand Filter - 1.5HP (SPL) Speck Pump - Taylor K-2006C Test Kit

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

That's kinda the way I added my CYA this spring. Put it in an old sock and laid the sock in the skimmer basket and then kept the pump running 24/7 until it was gone.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    and then kept the pump running 24/7 until it was gone.
    If you run the pump 24/7 it doesn't matter much how you add it. It will usually dissolve in about 48 hours (or at least enough of it to protect your chlorine) I just pour it SLOWLY into the skimmer with the pump running. It's the easiest way.
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-24-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: make quote appear correctly
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread