+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 14' x 48" pool with 2650 GPH sand filter

Default 14' x 48" pool with 2650 GPH sand filter

After about a month, I am tired of the small cartridge filters. I want to put a 2650 GPH sand filter on my 14 x 48 AGP. Is that too big?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: 14' x 48" pool with 2650 GPH sand filter

It's probably too big. What is it you dislike about the cartridge filters? Did you know you can get much better quality cartridges -- a pair of those will last all summer if you clean them properly.
    Unicel C-4607 Replacement Filter Cartridge (Easy Set Size A or C) @ Amazon
    Unicel C-5315 Replacement Filter Cartridge for 15 Square Foot Intex B Filter @ Amazon
    Watch the shipping, on the Amazon products -- Amazon is not stocking these reliably. You can order elsewhere. But call first, and verify that the cartridges are ACTUAL Unicel, and not "equal to Unicel" or "same as Unicel C-4607" -- some low quality Asian cartridges are being widely sold.

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate the information on the better quality cartridge filters. I really do want to increase the size of the pump to do a better job of moving the water around the pool. I could get a higher volume pump that utilizes cartridge filters, but I figured that if I were to upgrade the pump, the sand filters would require much less upkeep. Do you think the cartridge filter would be a better option? Whichever way I go, is there a downside to having a pump with twice the volume of the one that came with the pool?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Can you tell us the make and model of the pump / filter you're considering and that of the one you have now?

What I have now is the 1000GPH pump that came with the Intex 14' pool. It uses the "A" filter cartridge. What I am considering is the Intex 56671 sand filter/pump.

I thought I would update this. I installed the 2650GPH Intex sand filter/pump last week. I enlarged the openings in the side of the pool to accommodate the 1.5" fittings, and I am very happy with the increased flow from the pump. Less debris is settling to the bottom of the pool. The sand filter seems to be keeping the water very clear.

Thanks, again, for the help... not only with this, but for the wealth of information that you have made available on your site.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Glad it's working out for you.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread