+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Considering an above ground pool

Default Re: Considering an above ground pool

I can tell you how I approached it.

I checked with my township about fencing requirements, building codes, that sort of thing. They had a nice handout for pools, in-ground as well as above ground. Then I went to several pool stores, the ones which have pools set up outside, and just started talking to the people. I learned about steel sided, aluminum sided, round/oval, Intex, different kind of vinyl liners, different ways of preparing the ground, underlayers, coves, pumps/filters/lights. It was a process that took many weeks because with each new thing I learned at a dealership I went to the Internet and read more about it.

The dealers in this area don't do the installations but they did give me installers' contact info. The first one I called for a quote was a complete dud. I knew we wouldn't be a good match when he drove up to the house in a black Hummer with naked lady decals on the windows. He wore a gold Rolex. I concluded he had too much money, I wasn't going to help him upgrade to platinum, and I knew I could not relate to that man. His visit was but brief. The second builder let me talk and ask many questions, explained why some of what I wanted would work and some other things might be more difficult. Our property is challenging because it's on a steep hill with an evil slope in the backyard which ends in a plateau on top. "Can you put a pool up there?" I asked him. "Anything can be done," he replied. His bid was reasonable. I hired him.

The pool builder will prepare the ground. He may be able to help with the fence via subcontracting, or you can call a few fence companies for bids. The pool dealers will have installers' names, or you can look in the Yellow Pages (focus on Above Ground). Phone them, make an appointment, talk to the people. Make notes. This is a good time of year, their schedules aren't as tight anymore. Our pool was put up in September 2005. You can do the fence now and the pool in autumn which is a better season in the Northeast than spring when things are either frozen or muddy. Or you can get on the builder's schedule for next summer but may have to make a downpayment, and what if he goes out of business?

I asked our builder for a quote to include everything: pool, equipment, lumber for the deck, but to split it out so I could compare. I ultimately opted to buy everything from him because he was willing to work with me on costs after I showed him some of the prices I could get for comparable equipment elsewhere. How are your negotiation skills? Our guy is a local contractor; he had given me references whom I called and visited and talked to about follow-up. If something goes wrong, was he responsive when you called him? I checked his BBB record, I looked up public records–they're out there for free when you know where to look.

Yes, it could take months, the research. One easy way is to drive around your area and knock on doors where you see pools that you like. Talk to the homeowners, ask them about the pros and cons of their pool, who built it for you, are you happy with it? We LOVE showing off our pools
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Thanks, Anna! That's a lot of helpful tips. I think I have an idea of where to start now.

Anna pretty much hit it on the mark. Depending on what you guys are willing to do as part of the "upgrade", will determine how much professional help you will have to pay for. May I suggest that after you find out if there is/are and code requirements for you community for AG pools, decide if you want to do the fence yourself first (remember you can usually rent diggers for the post holes), and you guys could also level too, but that could involve very heavy labor intensive work, unless you are absolutely penny pinching, find a contractor to do the leveling and no doubt install sand for the pool bottom to rest on top of. A deck is not a necessity depending on how you like to use your pool, but with a reasonably tall one (how close are those neighbors?), a big well designed deck could make the yard/pool area into a terrific recreation area for you. Now is the time to consider those things......walkway to it too?

Preparation and planning will make this upgrade manageable. My only concern with a permanent installed AG pool would be liner replacement, but that was laid to rest during a visit to relatives recently.....their dealer purchased pool has a fold over liner so easy replacement is designed in....others will most likely comment on this though.

You will more than likely blow 2 seasons or more cash down for the pool and all the goodies.....money well spent with the pool being yours, YOU know what chemicals are in it and how clean it is, and YOU know who is in it, and finally, nothing and I mean nothing beats walking out the back door and less than 30 seconds later being in YOUR OWN pool.

Oh, I was going to end with something like plan, plan, plan but instead please consider tree locations in your pool placement. Since you have the time you could move the location or perhaps remove a tree to make upkeep easier OR plan on buying that cover for it like I do mine to keep the tree crap out.

Good luck,

Bob E.
    Intex 10' x 30" metal frame pool, Intex 2500 gph filter/pump, Intex Saltwater generator, SwimMax 11KW heater, 2 x Small Game Solar Domes.

Yes, to my own pool being a great advantage, especially no diapers in my own pool! I plan to have a "no babies/toddlers wearing diapers in the pool" rule. (Hopefully no one will be offended.) Thankfully, most of my friends don't have kids still in diapers.

+ Reply to Thread