+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phosphates

Default Phosphates

Would appreciate any viewpoints/suggestions re phosphate levels in pools. Some say I should be very worried about the level (mine looks to be somewhere between 600-800) including my local pool supply folks. Others don't seem to be worried much about phosphate levels. As one source I read said the best thing to do about phosphate levels was to throw my measuring kit away and forget about them. So, we have two extremes and I don't have a clue which is best.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Phosphates

Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

Your pool store, I'm sure, is worried about your phoshate level--because it's a high-dollar, high profit margin bottle of stuff they can sell you to "remove" the phosphates!! The rest of us agree with the philosophy of "throw the test away and forget about them".

Phosphates are algae food. However, if you maintain your chlorine levels adequately, there won't be any algae to eat the food, therefore no reason to spend a fortune on phosphate removers that won't really have a visible effect on anything!
    Janet

Many thanks. I plan to take my chances with your suggested approach.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Keep in mind, maintaining "your chlorine levels adequately" has a specific meaning here at PoolForum, explained on the Best Guess page, linked in my signature.

+ Reply to Thread