+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Converting 15' Round Intex to Hard Plumbing

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Converting 15' Round Intex to Hard Plumbing

Are you planning to dump your water or wait 'til the end of the season?
    I think your plan should work so long as all your cutting is in the reinforced section of the wall and you snug those new ports up tight. I'd use teflon tape just to make it eaisier to turn the nut.

Measure twice, cut once.

Ryan, I modified my "little" Intex pool with the big intake and returns since they came with the big Intex pump/filter. At this point in time, unless you are willing to live with the leak you will have to drain at least some water out of your pool.

You will have to cut around 1/4 of an inch of material off to allow the installation of the bigger return in the hole. You will be OK by just following the installation diagram of the parts installation guide. THEN you can hook up your big hoses with the valves and all will be well. I have hard plumbed after my first 6 foot of hose from the pool (the pool bends and flexes so you have to allow for movement....period).

However, all conections to Intex equipment are connected with intex hoses first (for the length of the hose) then to the hard plumbing. You will find that if you use a 1 1/2 rubber PVC pipe connector cut into 1/8 inch washers (similar to your garden hose washers), you will have no leaks when connecting 1 1/2 inch Intex hoses to a 1 1/2 inch PVC threaded connector. You WILL have to make or buy a washer. Cutting is very easy if you put a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe into the connector, then using your cutoff saw you will be able to make repeatable cuts and similar washers.

Bob E.
    Intex 10' x 30" metal frame pool, Intex 2500 gph filter/pump, Intex Saltwater generator, SwimMax 11KW heater, 2 x Small Game Solar Domes.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I went ahead and cut out the small intex connections and replaced with the larger.

Everything is working well, and flowing better.

Safetybob,

Do you still use the intex plungers??

Thanks

Ryan

A little late replying, but yes, I still do use the Intex plungers. Incase I didnt' say it, I also use the "big" Intex inlet and outlet, plungers that came with the big pump and the 1 1/2 inch hoses. I may also work on hard plumbing a bit more next year. Found 1 1/2 inch pool/spa cream colored tubing at Lowes to try out. Looks heavy duty enough, but problem is connecting it to our unique Intex stuff. More experimentation needed.

Glad everything is working better.

Bob E.
    Intex 10' x 30" metal frame pool, Intex 2500 gph filter/pump, Intex Saltwater generator, SwimMax 11KW heater, 2 x Small Game Solar Domes.

+ Reply to Thread