+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Converting 15' Round Intex to Hard Plumbing

Default New To Forum

I new to posting to this forum, however I have been reading over a lot of the post and they have helped alot.

Especially, the posts related to chemicals, proper levels, etc.

I currently have an Intex 15 x 48 ft metal pool with Intex 16" sand filter and SWG.

I am in the process of hard plumbing the pool, and I do have several questions related to that project.

Thanks

Ryan

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New To Forum

Hi, Ryan, and welcome to the Pool Forum! Hope you'll find the help you need. Trust me, I'm not the one you want to take advice from about plumbing but we do have people here who can help. So, ask away!

Default Re: New To Forum

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been able to search the forum already and found many of the threads very helpful.

I will start a new thread about with my questions.

Ryan

Default Converting 15' Round Intex to Hard Plumbing

First of all let me say thanks for all the informative threads on this forum and to those who provide the replies.

I have been able to search and get quite a few of my questions answered without ever asking them...

I have a 15' round Intex pool. It has the metal frame but not the "ultra" sides.... I have the 16" sand filter and I am currently using the Intex adapters to adapt the larger hoses with this pump to the small connections on the pool. However, my plunger on the intake side must have an air leak in it, as I am getting air into the pump and have all the connections as tight as can be without stripping.

So I am going to hard plumb everything with 1 1/2 Sch 40 PVC.

Thanks for those who came up with the idea of use the 1 1/2 electrical conduit connector (gray) to adapt between the Intex connections and 1 1/2 PVC.

I was planning on cutting the liner at the current inlet/return connections to fit the larger Intex connections. Is there any advantage to using a standard pool connection vs the Intex? Has anyone done this with success?? Do they even make standard connectors that would serve this purpose?

I desperately need to come up with a usable vacuum solution.. Is it worth cutting the liner and plumbing a separate vacuum port?

I really like the idea of a thru wall skimmer, however I am not sure if the liner can support the extra weight and stress. Any one done this with this type of pool?

Thanks all!

Ryan

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Converting 15' Round Intex to Hard Plumbing

Don't try to connect hard pipe to an Intex.

There are some vacuum adapters you can use, possibly something like this
    Intex Vacuum Tube Adaptor
    However, I am NOT recommending that, because I'm not sure it's what you'll need, or even if you will need it. Also, I hate to see a $9 shipping charge with a $9 item -- that's not a ripoff necessarily, but I'd rather find a better way.

I'm going to be setting up a couple of Intex pools in the next week or so, and will be using them to test different products.

This vacuum system is being marketed for Intex pools, but it has mixed reviews and sounds fairly fragile:
    Skooba Pool Vacuum Kit
    A more standard vacuum set up can be adapted to an Intex pool; if there's not something being sold, I'm sure I can work something out at Lowes:
    Poolmaster 27514 Classic Full View Triangular Vinyl Liner Vacuum
    Hydro Tools 8365 8- to 16-Foot Adjustable Fluted Premium Fluted Telescopic Pool Pole, White
    Hydro Tools 1-1/4-Inch Diameter With Swivel Cuff Pool Vacuum Hose
    Unfortunately, I can't be any more definite than that, yet.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-08-2012 at 03:49 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

combined similar threads.

Pool Doc,

Can you elaborate on not hard plumbing an Intex? I have seen several posts on here that appear to have sucess...

My biggest concern is the point, where the plunger needs to be adapted to fit the pool..... it is a compresssion type adapter and is very loose..... I can take a picture when I get home and post.....

I think you could do it, without problems . . . at first.

But an Intex pool moves easily, and hard pipe doesn't. That is going to create a stress point that will either tear the pool or break the pipe. I think fixing whatever is wrong with your existing Intex connection point might be a better plan. If you can get through on their phone lines, Intex has apparently been pretty good about replacing components that have a problem, often not even asking that you return the old component. I'd try that, first.

Consumer Service: 1-800-234-6839
    Special Summer Hours: Monday through Friday 7:00am-5:00pm PST; Saturday 7:00am-3:00pm PST
    Online Store: http://www.intexstore.com
    Main site: http://www.intexcorp.com

By the way, thanks for the subscription!

You are welcome. For all the free advice, its the least I can do!

You bring up a very good point...... Maybe I will abandon the hard plumbing....

Here is another idea...

The pump came with intex ports, that fit the include hoses and plunger valves.... just not the pool... I am thinking about just cutting the liner (it is reinforced where the cuts will be)... and using the following ports (not sure if that is the right word).... They have gaskets and all...

connector 1 by atc_nh, on Flickr

connector2 by atc_nh, on Flickr

Here is what I am trying to eliminate.... basically, its a rubber sleeve with a plastic pipe inside.... The plunger requires an adapter which uses a nut to compress around the rubber sleeve.... It is not tight at all and the slightest movement cause it to slip.... Only a matter of time before it falls off and I loose my pump
    I am going to cut all that out and replace with the fitting from my above post.....

Untitled by atc_nh, on Flickr

Thanks again for all the help!

+ Reply to Thread