+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to properly chlorinate small 12'x30" intex pool? And few other questions.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: How to properly chlorinate small 12'x30" intex pool? And few other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Azmp1 View Post
    Pool water:
    Total chlorine/bromine - came out darker then the top window of 5ppm cl/10ppm br). The test strip says i'm somwhere in between of 5 and 10. My kids went in today and their eyes were burning, and the water stinks of chlorine.
    Total pH - also came up that looked to be higher then the top window of 8.2.
    Total alkalinity - 90ppm
    Total hardness - 80ppm
    CYA - Solution never turned cloudy. I emptied all 14ml into the view tube and could still see the dot at the bottom...
    Read the muriatic acid page linked in my signature; then get some, and use it to lower your pH to ~ 7.4

Chlorinating granules by AquaChem:
    trichloro-s-triazinetrione - 71.8%
    boron sodium oxide - 8.0%
    other ingredient - enhancer/sunlight protector - 20.2%
    (available chlorine 65%)
    OK to use right now; will raise your CYA. Has borax ("boron sodium oxide!), so it won't lower your pH as normal trichlor. Has added stabilizer, so watch your CYA levels.

pH Up by Aquachem
    Sodium Carbonate - 100%
    Soda ash. Take it back if you can.

Algeacide PLUS by Aquachem
    copper metallic - 3.3% (active ingredient)
    other ingredient - 96.7%
    Use it as fall algaecide; might stain your pool a bit, but you probably won't notice.

While at Walmart i also picked up a container of HTH shock 'n Swim
    Bad stuff -- take it back if you can. Non-chlorine ingredients can be VERY irritating in some cases. (There are a variety of shock 'n swim products; not sure which you have!)

Default Re: How to properly chlorinate small 12'x30" intex pool? And few other questions.

Good morning folks, again thank you for the great replies. However, my apologies as looks like I've given you guys a bit of dis-info as far as pH levels. I've retested again this morning and in the normal daylight it does look to be be perfectly at the 7.8 level.
    Chlorine looks to be at 5ppm or maybe just slightly above.
    I did add another quart of bleach in this morning and left pool uncovered for the day. Hopefully chlorine levels will go down enough for my kids to use the pool in the evening. What should be good chlorine levels for them to use the pool and not burn their eyes and stink up everything with chlorine?

As far as the granulating chlorine that I have. How do I get it into the pool? If I just poor the power in it just settles at the bottom and discolors the liner... The box says I can't dilute it before applying either. Is there a method to this I can use?

And one more question. Should I shock the pool in the weekly basis? If so what do I use, since you said to not use hth shock 'n swim...?

Learning a lot here. Hopefully by the time I get a real pool in the spring I will know everything about this!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I think all most of your questions are answered in this recipe:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17055

But, I'll make some other remarks:

1. Until you get a good test kit, you are -- as it were -- driving with a blacked out windshield, and will only discover that you were going in the wrong direction, when you hear the crunching sound, and feel the impact. Nothing we can do here, can make up for the lack of adequate testing.

2. Chlorine does not cause allergic reactions (ever). Chlorine does not irritate people (usually), even at high levels. BUT, chlorinating inconsistently or intermittently results in the production of some very irritating chlorine compounds. The solution is not LESS chlorine; it's more CONSISTENT chlorination! However, you won't be able to do this, till you have a good test kit. (Notice a theme, here?)

3. The whole "must let chlorine go down to swim" is based on a series of historical accidents and institutional inertia, not on science or health. Dermatologists have for years -- and still do -- treat both adult and pediatric patients with "bleach baths", which involve bathing in 50 - 100 ppm of chlorine for 30 minutes or so. Relatively high levels of chlorine are NOT a problem for people; they may be more irritating to eyes, but I'm not even sure of that. But, they can be damaging to women's fashion swimwear, depending on the stabilizer level. (Of course, to know what the stabilizer level is, you have to have a good test kit!)

4. The major pool chemical companies -- Arch/HTH and Biolab/BioGuard/Chemtura -- have increasingly engaged in behavior I consider predatory, and are selling chlorine blends that I consider to be very undesirable. These blends include compounds that are essentially useless (magnesium sulfate) or not appropriate for general application (aluminum sulfate), or likely to cause problems (various copper and persulfate compounds). In particular, Chemtura -- who is in bankruptcy (www.chemturacommittee.info) -- seems to me to be acting in its own short-term financial interests, in ways that are directly contrary to pool owner's interests. Between them, these two companies control most of the brands available to homeowners, via both retail big boxes like Walmart, and via pool stores. As a result, pool owner's need to be extremely careful about what they purchase, and should avoid 'blended' chlorine products like the plague!

Ben, thank you for the reply. I've read the thread you mentioned, great info I will start using.

I just tested again, pH looks good, still at 7.8, but chlorine is just about all gone by now, I guess as expected.
    The good news is that the slimeiness is also gone completely.

The only issue I still have as I asked above is I'm still not sure as to how to administer the chlorine granulars into the pool... Can you or someone else please recommend a method? Can I just fill the sock or something like that with it and hang it in the pool?

As for the good test kit, I totally hear your comments and completely agree, but I just can't justify spending close to $100 box on the kit where I only spent $80 on the pool itself haha. The hth-6 kit will just have to do for now. Now once, I get the pool put in next spring as I'm planning, no expense will be spared for sure!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

The K-2006 is about $50 plus shipping now directly from Amato. You've very likely spent more than that on chems you can't use. If you get it now and learn to use it, you'll be ahead of the game next year. I gurantee you won't regret this purchase.

I would disolve the trichlor granular in a bucket of pool water then pour it in; if that didn't work, I'd hang it in a sock.

Hmm, maybe i was looking at the wrong thing... i'll check again.
    And thank you for suggestion on administering chlorine!

Try in the morning -- Amato is the low price seller, and by afternoon, their Amazon quota (which Amato sets) is often sold out, and Amazon kicks you over to high price sellers. However, the K2006C (2oz bottles instead of 3/4 oz bottles) is usually available all day from Amato at $80 - 90.

Trust me, get the Taylor 2006C, I know it may seem rediculous to by that big, huge, expensive test kit. It was the best money I have invested in my pool by far. As you can see, I have a small Intex pool like you. It has made my up keep and enjoyment factor the best it ever has been. No more guessing, no more cussing.....just the truth of what is happening in your pool. Little beach here, little CYA there when needed.....it truly has made this season the best season for the pool so far. Now I just need to get a bigger one!!

Bob E.
    Intex 10' x 30" metal frame pool, Intex 2500 gph filter/pump, Intex Saltwater generator, SwimMax 11KW heater, 2 x Small Game Solar Domes.

Thanks again for all the responses! I will get the Taylor kit.

Bob, since you have the same pool, how do you administer chlorine powder into the pool without it settling in on the bottom and bleaching the liner?

+ Reply to Thread