+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 15' round mystic pool above ground

Default 15' round mystic pool above ground

Thinking of adding the intex salt system ( I have one I used from last years intex)...can it be done also what do I need to do it(adaptors,hoses,etc)...is it worth it...also since I live in NY.am thinking about a heat pump..any opinions( I see them on Craigslist pretty reasonable)...my installer mistakenly put a 3/4 hp reliant sand filter on my pool when I went to store they said that was more than enough for my 15' round by 52"...I originally was supposed to get a 1 HP...but I kept 3/4 as it seems to be doing the job...thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: 15' round mystic pool above ground

Usually, people get pumps that are too big, and filters that are too small. You may have lucked out!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

A heat pump on a 15' pool? The heater will cost more than the pool! If you have the room, a 4'x10' solar panel can be plumbed in pretty easily and should warm your pool more than adequately.

Smaller pump/ bigger filter: Happy pool owner. Bigger pump/smaller filter: Problems. Horsepower is GREAT in cars, but not so good in pools, especially smaller ones. Your pool is just over 5k gallons. My 16x40 is about 19k gallons and I run a 1 HP pump (OK, it's an IG pump, not an AG, so it's more like a 1.5 AG pump). But I run it at low speed almost constantly, 12 hrs/day and that's like 1/4 to 1/3 hp pump.

Carl
    Carl

Thanks to all finally got in pool with kids and it seems there might be a sharp rock under bottom of pool what does this mean for my liner..it is 25 gauge..wondering what I should do pool is brand new and was put on top of yard of sand..what options do I have...thanks in advance

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I had the same thing happen underneath one of my liner installs several years ago. I put a double layer of patching over it to give added insurance just in case the rock pushed through the liner. It never did and it did not create any problems. It was still holding just fine when I replaced my pool this year. I think that other liner was purchased in 2006 if I remember correctly.

Having dealt with the Intex salt water thing now for a couple of years, I will not use or get another one when it breaks or stops working. The BBB system here is way to simple and straight forward to do.....especially with the proper test kit. Yes it does make my pool work a little easier, but I still have to test and add a little bleach now and then.....it is NOT worth going and replacing a broke unit now that I know how to maintain a pool.

Heater....I sure got an earful when I stated I used my little electric heater for my pool a few months back. Problem is, they (as in the forum members) were right. Straight electric heating is expensive to use (but it sure does heat my little pool nicely). May I suggest you look at some sort of solar type heater you could connect to your existing system (even my two little Game solar heaters make a noticeable difference). Now if you want to seriously extend your pool experience, then either the heat pump type or even natural gas/propane heaters could work. As much as you may think you are saving getting a "used" heater off of eBay or Craigslist, please just be very careful what you buy.....there probably was a reason they are dumping their equipment. Corrosion on big components can cost alot of money versus a new, factory waranttee covered heater. A real heater is NOT an inexpensive decision.......just be aware of that.

Let me just add that adding the solar heaters has allowed me to turn off my electric unit......if you have the room for one, purchased or home built, I would seriously tell you to consider it. The kids don't mind cooler water, my wife and I are the ones who really enjoy the "warm" pool. A good solar system could certain improve your experience in New York....I hate cold pools!!

Bob E.
    Intex 10' x 30" metal frame pool, Intex 2500 gph filter/pump, Intex Saltwater generator, SwimMax 11KW heater, 2 x Small Game Solar Domes.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread