+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing Dead Algae

Default Removing Dead Algae

Hi, All..
    We discovered The Pool Forum years ago and have been grateful to have this great source of reference for maintaining our pool. Happy to see that it is open to new membership. We have an 18x36 IG with a sand filter. Having a hard time keeping the water clear this year with the temperature (and the water) staying so hot!
    We're pretty sure the algae bloom is dead (tan colored particles that blow away quickly) but we're struggling to get the dead algae out of the water. The shallow end is fairly clear but the deep end remains cloudy.

Current pool stats:
    Chlorine: 10+
    Free CL: 10
    PH: 7.0
    ALK: 80
    CYA: 30

I had the page pulled up for how to add DE to the filter... but I've now lost it. Some advice on how to correctly do that and any other helpful info. for clearing up the water would be great!
    Thanks,
    Sandy

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Removing Dead Algae

Looks like you don't have a Taylor K-2006 kit which is capable of testing high chlorine levels. Reporting 10+ means that you could have 20, 30 or ??? We recommend everyone use this particular kit. You can pick it up through the test kit link in my signature below.

Your pH is a little low. Use some 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle at Walmart) to raise it. Add a half a box slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running. After a couple hours, retest, and redose. 7.4-7.6 is what we usually aim for but anywhere 7.2-7.8 is ok.

Your alk is fine. Your CYA is ok at 30 but we usually suggest a little higher like 40-50. After you get the pool cleared up, you might want to consider adding a little more.

Let's go ahead and have you see if you can figure out how high your chlorine is by using a dilution method to force your kit to read higher. It is not super accurate, but better than nothing (until you can order the good kit!) Testing Without a Good Kit

Report back with your results and then somebody here can help you go from there. Also, tell us exactly what all you have put in your pool meaning ingredients and not just 'shock.'

We would also like to ask you to fill in your pool's information in our pool chart. Only takes a minute to do but helps us give better advice for your pool.
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Lastly, here is the info about adding DE to a sand filter. Adding DE to a Sand Filter

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice. Realized that I failed to mention that we have a Salt System but don't think that affects what you've told me.
    After a re-check of the CL, I believe it's actually only 6 or 8. I don't believe it is over 10.
    This started 4-5 weeks ago - pool started turning green and it took us a little while to figure out that the computer on the chlorine generator
    had quit working. We used chlorine pucks to maintain CL in the pool but it already had algae growth. Hubby fixed the generator. We
    had the water checked at the pool store a couple of times and they told us all our chemicals were right both times, although the water
    was greenish.
    The Ph and Alk were just on the low side about 5 days ago and I added Baking Soda. Also added Algaecide (60%) that day. We have
    not added anything since, just running the chlorinator and letting Lenny (the Kreepy Krauly - pool cleaner ) do his thing. The chlorine
    seems to have killed the algae, we just haven't been able to get it out of the water.
    We'll do as you've advised. Thanks for your help!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ It's very common for filters to fail, in all sorts of ways. When they do, they don't filter out what they should. Dead algae is very, very commonly hard to filter. Here are several things you can do.
    1. All filters filter better at SLOW flow rates than at HIGH rates. If you have a 2 speed pump, running 24 hours per day on LOW is MUCH better than running 12 hours per day on HIGH . . . and cheaper, too.

2. You can test to see if your filter is 'broken' by adding 1 - 2 cups of DE filter powder to the skimmer. If the powder shoots back into the pool . . . your filter needs repairs. (Maybe, more sand, or a new cartridge, or something else.)

3. You can add a clarifier. Not all of them work, and we haven't identified any 'recommended' brands yet. But if you ONLY add a single recommended dose, they will not hurt, and may help. Do NOT over do it: an overdose of many flavors of clarifier can make things MUCH WORSE. So, use ONLY the recommended doses and not a bit more!

4. You can use polyquat, which is the ONLY algaecide we commonly recommend. But, it's ALSO a very good clarifier. If you use it, don't use another clarifier however. We're not sure how polyquat would react with some of the other products.
    We've sometimes suggested adding DE to a filter to HELP it filter. This is an much more 'iffy' thing, than using it to TEST your filter. Regular DE use can damage cartridge media. And using DE to filter, turns a regular sand filter into a TINY DE filter -- you'll have to backwash a LOT, if there's much 'goop' in your pool. So, think twice about using DE to 'help' your filter. The one case where it does seem to work well is when you have a SAND filter and HAZY water -- not very dirty, but not quite clear. In this case, the DE can help remove the stuff your sand is not.

There are other options, too. But these are some of the simpler ones.

+ Reply to Thread