+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar cover questions

Default Solar cover questions

We have had an unground pool (20x40) for years and have always used a solar cover. We never bought a reel and have always needed two people to remove the cover and reinstall. We just pull the cover up onto the concrete in sections. Typically we just leave it there when pool is being used which is maybe our mistake because we do not cover it. Covering it is not possible because it is essentially in a big heap that is 20' long by about 4' wide.

The covers have been frustrating because the rarely last more than a year. The pool supplier we work with says he will sell us a heavier one but it will just make it More costly, heavier and will not last any longer. The problem is that the begin to tear everywhere, not just at seams. It kinda becomes brittle. He does not recommend reels, says most of hist customers hate them.

I think they are tearing because of uv failure due to not being covered when off the pool. Interestingly, the first part pulled off tends to last just fine but it is not dry and in direct sun because it is buried by last part of cover pulled off.

Do we just continue replacing every year or so?
    Would a heavier cover last longer?
    Are there covers made of superior materials?
    Would getting a reel and covering the cover be the solution?
    If getting a reel is the ticket, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Solar cover questions

I don't think any of them last too long no matter what type or thickness. Getting one that is too thick is just harder to handle. You are right that not covering it up with a white sheet or white piece of plastic destroys them faster.

A couple of options. Some people do use reels and like them. My co-mod, Poconos aka Al, rolls his up on a piece of PVC pipe that is capped on both ends. His pool is only 16 ft wide, though. (I think it is a 16 x 32 rectangle or something like that.) With yours being bigger, you might be able to cut it into a couple of pieces and rolling them separately.

I used to roll my cover up on PVC pipes.. I have a large round AG so not the same as yours but what I did was similar to what Al does. You can see pics of my old one in the following thread just to give you an idea (post #6): Watermom's Solar Cover Solution for her24' AG Pool

This year, I bought a bigger pool and have a new way to roll up my cover --- bought something called a Solar Roller Cover Stick. I like it pretty well and it is quicker for me and easier than all the PVC pipes. There is an online demo of it here:
    http://www.solarroller.com/products/...over-stick.htm You might need a couple since you have a large pool, but I think the website gives more info about that.

Hope this helps some. Just a couple of ideas for you. Welcome to the Pool Forum.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Sorry to HiJack your thread kosinski.
    Watermom, you like the Stick? I've been waiting to see a comment. Is it really as easy as it looks or does the cover get filled with water?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'll reply in a little bit in my thread. "Watermom's Pool Adventure" so as to keep it all in one place. I've been meaning to get back to that thread and give a review, but just haven't had time to get to it since the forum has been so busy lately.

waldreps is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst waldreps 0

Where is the "Watermom's Pool Adventure" thread? I can't seem to find it.

Ok. Another nudge to remind me to give my review. I'll go and do that right now before I forget again and then I'll come back and link it here for you.

EDIT to add link to the thread "Watermom's New Pool Adventure"
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...Pool-Adventure
    Last edited by Watermom; 07-21-2012 at 09:29 AM.

We cut our solar cover into several sections. You can see photos of how we put them on and remove them here: http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/ . We found that the styrofoam knobs we used as handles of sorts really aren't needed. Turns out that each section just sort of floats itself across the pool into position when gently nudged with a telepole. When we remove each section, we fold it accordion-style as it comes off the pool and store them in the shade during the day. We've used the same cover for nearly five seasons now with very little damage to the air bubbles.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread