+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheap bleach for those in the midwest.

Default Cheap bleach for those in the midwest.

Just thought I'd shoot this out there for the bargain hunters. Menard's Home improvement has their house brand 6% bleach on sale for $.99 per 96oz. jug.
    25'x40' oval 33K gal IG concrete pool; hand fed liquid chlorine; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hawyard Super pump 1.5 HP pump; hrs; Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:3.6

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Cheap bleach for those in the midwest.

That's a great deal!! Wish we had them here in Louisiana....
    Janet

And now this week they have 15% one gallon LC for $2.50...
    25'x40' oval 33K gal IG concrete pool; hand fed liquid chlorine; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hawyard Super pump 1.5 HP pump; hrs; Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:3.6

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Wow, that's cheap! (If it is in fact 15%.) You can test it to find out .....

Copied from something CarlD wrote a while back:

Put ten liters of tap water ( That's 5 soda-bottles full) in a 5 gallon bucket.

Test that water for chlorine using the FAS-DPD test to get a chlorine baseline (you may have some).

Then I take a 1 ml eyedropper full of the LC or bleach I'm testing and put it in the bucket and mix it up.

(1 ml in 10 liters of water is the same as putting 1 gallon of LC in a 10,000 gallon pool -- it's 1/10,000th. )

I then measure the bucket with the FAS-DPD test just like pool water. Of course, subtract any chlorine you measured in the tap water.

I use a glass eyedropper so it will hold up. Pharmacies sell them.

Seems like an awful waste of reagents to test it that way. That would give a result of 100 ppm and would take 200 drops to verify. Knowing that 96oz of 6% gives me about 1.5ppm boost in my pool a half gallon sample would raise chlorine by 1.0. If I use a half gallon of the 15% it should give me 2.5. Even if the testing is not supremely accurate as long as it results in 2.0 its at least 12%, which is still a pretty decent deal at just over 16¢/oz of active chlorine. (Versus 13¢/oz if its 15%)

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

100ppm, How do you figure? If it's 15%, then you should have 30 drops - 15ppm.
    Great deals on the bleach, thanks!

Ah yes, forgot to factor that only 15% of the 1ml would be chlorine.

Thanks for the bleach tip. I have a "sorry slip" for 50 gal of bleach to use over the next 90 days
    What is LC? I tried to search but came up empty
    33' round 25.6K gal AG pool; bleach; Hayward SwimPRO voyager cartridge filter; pump; 24hrs; currently: Taylor 2006c; well; summer: ; winter: ; ; PF:4.7

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

LC means "liquid chlorine". In some states, pool stores sell liquid chlorine, which is actually sodium hypochlorite (bleach!) in 12% strength, instead of the 6% strength we get at WalMart. If it is available to you this way, it is actually cheaper in most cases to buy the liquid chlorine. Unfortunately, in Louisiana it's illegal to sell it.....

Janet

Ran the bucket test tonight and came in between 14% and 14.5%. (very lightest tinge of pink left at 28 drops)
    So... Yay for cheap bleach!!

+ Reply to Thread