+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chem log, to see....

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Chem log, to see....

I was trying to figure out why your CYA result was so much higher than your last test so I re-scanned this thread. I missed it before where you said you were going to continue using all of your 4 lb.container of CYA. You don't want to do that. It will make your CYA level too high. Don't add any more. Your CYA is already a little high. To compensate for it, you'll need to keep your chlorine between 5-10 ALL the time. (If you haven't already done so, please read the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below.)

Do NOT let your daughter add that algaecide. It will most likely cause your pool to become a foamy mess. That is a pretty common side effect of a lot of the algaecides. The best algaecide is just to maintain proper chlorine levels.

Thanks! I quit adding the CYA, Saturday morning was the last I put in, when I noticed that I didn't lose but about 1ppm chlorine overnight. still have about 1/4 bottle. I expect it will slowly come down with the addition of make-up water, and rainfall. Yes, I'll be using the best guess charts for chlorination. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the algaecide, I'm getting rid of the bottle tomorrow morning before she gets up in the morning. That and several other HTH bottles, like the clarifier that did anything but last year, when the pool was in the neighbor's yard. We were trying to help with the maintenance then, but the owner's sister wouldn't believe anyone but the salesman at a semi local pool store. Kept telling her to buy all sorts of junk without ever having had a sample to test on. Can you say replace filter carts every hour for 4 days, and still have white gunk floating in the water?

This is the reason I started searching for more info, and found you folks. Sure am glad I did! I surely didn't want to make the same mistakes they did last year! I'll probably make enough of my own!

Charlie
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

Question for the more knowledgeable folks here.

I've put in about a gallon and a half of muriatic acid over the past several days, and can't seem to keep the pH down to 7.2 or below, yet the TA doesn't seem to be dropping that much yet. TA appears to want to hover for a while at the high levels, even with the spray rig I made. I realize the instructions said it will take a while, but shouldn't I have been seeing a more pronounced drop already? I'll test again tonight, and see where it is.
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I looked over the thread and it seems that your TA has dropped from 250 to 210. That's almost 20%, sounds prettty good to me. The pH goes up because you are aerating (and have plenty of TA). The pH drops when you add acid (kinda the definition). TA also drops when you add acid. If you want to see it: aerate 'till your pH is about 8.0, measure TA, add acid to drop pH to about 7.0, let it mix for a couple hours, measure TA.

Thanks, BigDave.

I guess I just got a little impatient this afternoon, after having added yet another 1/4c of acid. This evening's test of TA did actually show a drop to 180, but still in the error range from the last test. May be a "can't see the forest for the trees" type of blindness. Thanks for the reminder of where I had come from. Maybe I should have started a spreadsheet to record all my test results?

Now if I could just figure out how to get the calcium down....Or am I OK with that at 250? Not sure what the saturation point would be where I would start to see scale on the ladder etc. I do note that there is some scale on the ladder legs at the waterline, from previous years use. I don't think it is from this fill.

Charlie

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Your pH rise will slow down as the TA gets lower and, I presume, you'll stop aerating when you get to your TA goal which will also slow pH rise (it's why your aerating). Remember, you're in the process of reducing TA - adding acid as often as you are is not a permanent state.

Calcium Hardness at 250 shouldn't be a problem, just avoid chlorinating with cal-hypo.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thanks for the info on the CH.

Yes, I would quit aerating when I reach the goal of TA=100. However, my wife likes the sound of gentle splashing from return, so I'll probably need to keep an eye on this level, and adjust as needed with baking soda.

Cal-hypo pucks available now, have a line in the ingredients "other chemicals, 4%" with no explanation as to what they are, so using them is a no-go for me. I want to know exactly what I'm putting in my pool!

Is there a Pool Owners Anonymous? I was told today that I'm obsessed with the pool, and Wife may be right. I can't get near that thing without picking up the leaf net and working out some of the tree leaves and other organics from the water. Is this normal behavior from new pool owners? or am I "a little touched in the head"?

Tetched? Whatever could you mean?
    Perfectly normal; you're learning something new that means something to you, you're invested. Don't let the haters bring you down. If you feel you're obsessed then backup but if you're just practicing your new hobby - Stand Proud.

Had to add a couple of inches of make-up water today. Took a half gallon bottle of muriatic to bring the pH back down to just below 7.2. Dropped the water temperature from a comfortable ( to these arthritic joints ) 90F to 82F.....Water felt downright COLD this afternoon!

This evening's test of the TA shows the trend downward continuing, 160ppm even with the influx of new water. Interesting to me is that at 240, it took 10 or more drops of the titration solution to give the flash of color when you are about halfway to the full change in color. Now I see that on the very first drop.

And, BigDave -- I'm still obsessed. I cant stand to see a leaf drop into my pool! Cold as that water felt, I stayed in it to get "just a little more" of the days debris out of the pool.

Am I right about leaves and bugs etc. using part of the chlorine?

Charlie

+ Reply to Thread