+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sand filter vs cartridge type filter

Default Sand filter vs cartridge type filter

Which is better, cheaper, more maintenance free? I just put a new pool on layaway and it came with the cartridge type filter. Now all my buddies are saying sand is cheaper and better. Seemed to me that the cartridge was easier and more maintenance free. Also a little cheaper.

Anyway, I am new to this pool stuff -like really "green". So, is the sand better? Does the cartridge type not clean the pool as well? Should I change to a sand filter?

So, in case pool size matters, I bought a 15x26 Quest pool from The Great Escape. 54" deep. Came with all kinds of crap that I have no idea about. -Solar cover, start-up kit, Premium maint. kit, etc....

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Sand filter vs cartridge type filter

Either type of filter has its advantages. Cartridge filters, if filtering a clean, clear pool, probably do the best job--they filter smaller particles than a sand filter. However, they don't work worth a flip if you're trying to clear up an algae bloom, because live algae clogs them up quickly, and you have to stay on top of cleaing them to keep your pump from burning up. They are also typically mismatched with the pump (pump being too large) when coming from the factory. Cleaning the cartridges can be a PITA, and must be done on a regular basis. MOst people keep one in the filter working, while the other is out being cleaned.

Sand filters are usually bigger, and not as likely to be overdriven by an AG pump, they are better at trapping live algae, and you have the option with a sand filter to vacuum to waste, if there's something you need to vac out of the pool but don't want to go through the filter. Backwashing (cleaning) the filter is quick and easy, although you do lose a good bit of water in the process. However, they don't catch particles as small as a cartridge filter can (unless you add a little DE to the sand).

there are people out there who love their cart filters, and people who love their sand filters, so you're liable to get lots of opinions on this one. Me, I'm a sand filter fan
    Janet

This was one question I had and you allude to the answer. It sounds like I CAN ad DE to my sand filter without harming anything. How much DE should I ad to a 26" filter with 200# of sand? Will I lose the DE when I back flush?

Thanks again for your help,
    Mike

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You can add DE to the sand filter, but not to replace the sand!! What you would do is fill the sand filter to its normal capacity, and the add a cup or so of DE through the skimmer so that it will go into the filter and coat the sand. You only want enough for a 1 psi rise--and that rise happens gradually--so add a little, give it 1-15 minutes, check your gauge, and add a little more if you need to. It can take up to 30 minutes for the amount that you put in to register the total rise on the gauge. If you overshoot, just backwash it out and start over...and yes, you'll lose the DE anytime you backwash.

Janet

Hi! I am brand new, so I don't know if I can reply, but we replaced a DE filter with a sand filter. DE filter seemed very difficult to clean (perhaps we didn't know how to do it properly?), and I didn't like having the DE powder around - not good for the lungs, and with kids, I didn't want a bag of it near any of them. So far I am very happy with the sand filter.

Thanks for the replies. The package did come with a 2hp pump and cartridge filter, so I have been wondering if I should change to a sand type. Sounds to me like the sand type is a better general filter type where the cartridge is better for clean pools. He really kinda sold me on the cart. type though. I mean wow is that easy! lol

By the way, while there the sales guy said that the DE filtering system is being outlawed soon because it's so dangerous, so it's a good thing you did away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevens23 View Post
    By the way, while there the sales guy said that the DE filtering system is being outlawed soon because it's so dangerous, .

LOL, that's the first time I've ever heard of that!
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by stevens23 View Post
    The package did come with a 2hp pump and cartridge filter, so I have been wondering if I should change to a sand type.
    That pump is WAY too big for that size pool. In order for your filter to be able to hand that much water coming through, you either need to upgrade to a much larger sand filter, or downgrade the pump. Pooldoc, Mas985, or one of the other equipment gurus can help you there, but I really think you'll be making a mistake putting that large a pump on a cartridge filter.

Janet

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

What is the actual make/model# of the unit?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread