+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for name of old metal out product

Default Looking for name of old metal out product

I've had a 20x40 ft vinyl pool for 40 years. I have a sand filter. I fill from a well and carefully try to limit backwash times so as to minimize how much I need to refill. My well water contains both iron and barium. I use the normal 3 inch tabs from a auto clornator and maintain pH as needed. This year is the first year after a new liner was installed. Also this year I am opening the pool a bit latter than usual.

In the past I have always found the pool water would turn a clear green, almost the same color as the grass next to it, whenever I had to add 2 or 3" of water. I was able to avoid the change by filling through the skimmer while I had two plastic balls leaking cleaner into the skimmer. However the guy that ran my pool supply store was sent to jail, the business clossed and I have not been able to find the balls or anyone that remembers their name.

Does anyone remember them? Know if they are still available? Or know what the suitable substitue is? I have used 'In the Swims' Metal Free and the local pool stores 'AquaEZ Demineralizer' but have not seen any positive response from them.

TomB

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Looking for nsme of old metal out product

I don't know what they were, but you should probably be able to achieve the same effect by putting a trichlor puck in the skimmer and filling through there--the idea is that when the metal-laden water is exposed to high chlorine levels, it drops out of suspension and is deposited on your filter to be backwashed out of the pool. A trichlor puck will work for this--but don't leave the pump off for more than 8 hours at a time with the puck in the skimmer, because the very acidic blast of water isn't good for the pump when it is turned back on.

Welcome to the forum!!
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread