+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiberglass Step with Rust Stains

Bossone Guest

Default Fiberglass Step with Rust Stains

I have a set of fiberglass steps that has metal wire embedded into it bur covered in fiberglass. We are now getting in the 2nd and 3rd year some small rust spots that don't want to come off ; least with a normal rag or with your fingernail .

My supplier says it is due to something put into the pool, but we've not added anything other than salt water magic mix on a monthly basis.

Thoughts on what caused it and how to clean it?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Fiberglass Step with Rust Stains

No idea, because we don't know what's in your "salt water magic mix". If you have metal in the pool, and rust spots, then it's not hard to figure out where the rust came from. To remove it, log out, go to the "metals" subforum, and read through the sticky on removing metal stains.

Janet
    Janet

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Try a magic eraser by mr clean, if that doesn't work, you ca use a very fine sandpaper. Let us know how you do, thanks
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Bossone Guest

Thanks for the replies!

One would think if I am registered I'd see all the forums and not have to log out, but I did and seen more sub-forums, but n ot sure I found the one you were talking about Janet. To Marie, we did try the magic eraser and that didn't work at all. You can feel with your fingernail that it is not just a stain, but have texture to it.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Do you think it is a bubble in fiberglass, or something stuck to it?
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Bossone Guest

No bubbles, it looks as if it is apart of it.

Would it be possible to post a picture?
    Northeast PA

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You can either use Picasa, Flicker, Photobucket, etc., or email it to poolforum@gmail.com and reference the URL of this thread.

+ Reply to Thread