+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up fine dirt or silt

waldreps is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst waldreps 0

Default Cleaning up fine dirt or silt

I just opened my pool last night. Yeah, I waited this long because without a pool heater and living in Minnesota, the water is always still too cold until well into July. The water wasn't too bad. I added a bunch of bleach and in 24 hours I can see the main drain already. Anyway, I have a lot of fine dirt or silt that made its way through my mesh cover over the winter. Would it be best to brush it toward the main drain and let the sand filter take care of it, vacuum it to waste, or drop my Dolphin in there to attack it?

Thanks,
    Stacy

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Cleaning up fine dirt or silt

that depends on how efficient your Dolphin is..my Polaris doesn't do too well with very fine silt, so in my pool, I'd just vac it to waste. You can try brushing it toward the drain to see if the filter will catch it--but if it's too small for the sand filter, you'll have to wait a couple of days for it to settle back out.
    Janet

I tried brushing it toward the drain but a lot of it just settled back down to the bottom. Time to break out the Dolphin to see if that will tackle it. The regular bag that came with it is supposed to filter down pretty small so I hope it will hold it. Vacuuming with my system works less than ideal so that's my last resort.

Thanks,
    Stacy

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Try adding a handful of cotton balls to the bag if the Dolphin doesn't get it all up--sometimes that will make them filter smaller stuff. Works on my Polaris pretty well, but not for pollen...

Janet

OK, thanks for the tip. I'm gonna drop it in tonight and let it run overnight. I'll see tomorrow how it did.

Well, the Dolphin picked up a bunch of gunk but as is usual with it, it didn't cover everywhere. I have an idea what may be complicating the cleanup. It appears I need a new multiport gasket. I backwashed a bit ago and the valve made a weird noise and some water was still coming out of the return. I had a little fountain sprayer on the return is how I noticed it. I took the top off the valve and noticed that the gasket isn't totally seated in several spots and is twisted over a little. I'm thinking that some of the water from the pump is going past the filter and back into the pool instead of all of it going to the filter when it's operating normally. So, this would cause the some of the dirt that's sucked up to be blown back out into the pool and settle on the bottom. At least that's my thinking at the moment. Does that sound plausible?

Thanks,
    Stacy

i used coffee filters?
    21' round a/g
    250 lb sand filter w/2 speed pump
    new liner
    sand and
    LOVE TO SWIM
    THANKS TO ALL WHO HELP !

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If it's a Dolphin robotic cleaner like a Dolphin Dynamic, the bag is going to be far better than a Polaris bag. I had a Dolphin, now have a Blue Diamond, and their bags filter as well as a DE filter. In fact, a cleaning with one of them (or the equivalent AquaBot and Red Devil brands) is equal to a DE filter running for the same period. For them, the high end robotics, the cotton ball trick probably isn't going to work. I used it on my old Polaris and it DID help.

Carl
    Carl

The Dolphin is supposed to filter down pretty small, and it did pick up a lot of stuff. What's happening now is that I've run the Dolphin twice but still have sand/silt/dirt all over the floor of my pool. It seems to pick up stuff but then things either settle back to the bottom or is being blown back in through the return. I figured out today that my spider gasket needs replacing, and I have one ordered. I'm starting to think that what I'm seeing on the bottom is sand, possibly from the filter. I have a PF-50 filter and just did a sand replacement last year. I took the whole thing apart and checked/cleaned/replaced laterals and visually checked everything inside. It all looked good besides the two cracked laterals that I replaced. I added 200# of sand that I got from the pool store. It worked good for the rest of the season last year. Will the spider gasket have anything to do with sand on the floor? I'm assuming that since I just checked and replaced laterals last year that they should be fine. What else would cause the sand from my filter to end up in my pool?

Yes, the gasket being bad can, and will, allow sand to blow back into the pool, especially on startup. Replacing the gasket is not hard, and it may very well fix your problem.

+ Reply to Thread