+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help! Not sure what to do about cloudy water and chlorine levels low

Default Need Help! Not sure what to do about cloudy water and chlorine levels low

I posted a few days ago about wanting to switch from using HTH products. I was on the live chat with someone from HTH and they told me how to care for my 12x30 Intex metal frame pool. I purchased a 3-way drops testing kit from HTH (I could not find the 6-way one) I just tested the water and it reads at .5 for Cl and 7.5 pH. Through advice from a friend I bought a floater and have been using it for about 2 days now. The water doesn't look super clear to me, slightly cloudy. On Sunday, I shocked it and put algae guard in it. I also have been cleaning the filter about every 2-3 days. I need some help. This is my first pool that needs this type of maintenance. I don't want my children to get sick. We have had the pool for about 1 1/2 weeks.

Thanks so much,
    Caterina

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Need Help! Not sure what to do about cloudy water and chlorine levels low

Unfortunately, you're at a point where you're going to have to make a decision.

I told you in your other thread that we don't really recommend the hth products now because of all the "mystery goop" they're adding to their chems these days. When you're dealing in pure chemicals, we can tell you what reacts how, and have a pretty good idea of how to solve most any problem you have. But when you start adding chemicals in that have other stuff added in with them, things start to react, sometimes unpredicably. So...what I'm saying is this: you're either going to have to do this the hth way (from the folks that make money selling the chemicals--for starters, the algae guard that you don't need) or our way--the two methods of pool care are many times contradictory, and trying to do both will leave you hopelessly confused and with a green pool.

We are pretty slammed right now with people wanting help, and who are willing to follow our suggestions--so if you want to go the hth route, then we won't take a whole lot of time trying to argue their process, at least not right now when we have so many people trying to get their pools swimmable by the 4th. If you want to go via our route, that's good too--just let us know.

I hope you understand....

Janet

Default Re: Need Help! Not sure what to do about cloudy water and chlorine levels low

I want to follow your suggestions. I was just on the hunt for the 6-way testing kit and could not find it. I do not have a Walmart near me. I just went to ShopRite. I thought I needed to get a drops test to give you a reading of the water. I was afraid to not have anything in the pool. I don't know what to add to the pool at this point. I would appreciate any suggestions and help you can give me and understand your busy schedule. I didn't know if I should just start adding bleach tonight in the recommended dosage you have in the 7 day start up for intex type pools. Thanks for any help you may give.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I misunderstood your above post--I'm sorry. I came across to me that we've started this set of threads, and THEN you went to the hth folks for lessons on pool care. It's just that sometimes we get people who try to follow our directions AND those of the pool store folks, and it always ends up in a vicious cycle that never ends well.

Ok..When you shocked the pool the other night, what did you shock it with? How high did you take the chlorine? Did it make a difference in your water clarity? You'll need to always keep your chlorine between 1-3 ppm, and yes, I would go ahead and start using the bleach. You don't have to take the floater out, but don't let the straight bleach come in contact with the tabs (BTW, what is the ingredient in the tabs you're using in the floater?)

Don't put any more of the algae guard in. It is not necessary if you're keeping your chlorine levels where they should be, and it can actually cause new water problems for you.

If the tabs in the floater are trichlor, then you'll need to keep an eye on your pH and make sure it doesn't drop below about 7.2. Any lower than that and you might start getting some complaints about eye irritation from the kids. The trichlor is acidic and will drive your pH down. If you need to raise it, use regular 20-Mule team Borax from WalMart or your Grocery store.

When you get a chance, take a water sample to your local pool store, assuming they use drops instead of strips, and ask them to test the water for you. Have them give you a printout of the numbers, not just "low", or "high". Also, when they start rattling off a list of stuff you need to put in the pool, just smile, agree, and tell them you have it all at home. Do not buy any of it, especially if it's calcium, phosphate remover, or algaecide. Their testing is designed to sell product. Right now, a test kit and some bleach is really the only product you need

+ Reply to Thread