+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aquarite problems

Default Re: Aquarite problems

Update on my problem. New cell arrived. Turned on old cell for one last reading. It was 2500. Put in new cell and it said 3600. Obviously, my FC problems are gone (at least for now). One thing I did notice, though is my control box gets awfully hot on the top. It may have done this all along, but I sure didn't think it got quite that hot. Anyone notice a new cell making their's get hotter than before? Just curious.
    27,000 IG Vinyl
    Aquarite SWG
    Still Learning Everyday

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

The heat will be coming from the transformer and probably from the heatsinks used to cool the microchip. Had this problem on the Autopilot, and it was fixed by adding a fan internally.

If you can find the amps used to supply the transformer, this will give you an idea of the heat being generated. On the PoolPilot it eaquates to a 200 watt bulb inside the control unit.

Hope this helps.

Pat

sw_stupid,

I also received my replacement cell yesterday. Just in time too because my cell totally went out, instead of flashing low salt/inspect cell the lights were full on, and not generating any chlorine (CL was fine on Sunday, all gone on Tuesday). I added some bleach on Tuesday night to tide me over till the cell arrived.

Installed the new cell last night and it almost immediately tripped out on Hi salt error, and wasnt generating CL so I dumped about 8" of water out and then topped it up over night. This morning the cell was reading about 4100ppm, and I too noticed that the top of the control unit was pretty warm after about 30min of use, I dont remember it being hot at all before the new cell. From memory the amps were reading up in the 7 range, not sure if this is the source of the heat. The manual also says that the enclosure acts as a heat sink, so I guess the heat is to be expected. Maybe no heat means its not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzzz
    sw_stupid,

I also received my replacement cell yesterday. Just in time too because my cell totally went out, instead of flashing low salt/inspect cell the lights were full on, and not generating any chlorine (CL was fine on Sunday, all gone on Tuesday). I added some bleach on Tuesday night to tide me over till the cell arrived.

Installed the new cell last night and it almost immediately tripped out on Hi salt error, and wasnt generating CL so I dumped about 8" of water out and then topped it up over night. This morning the cell was reading about 4100ppm, and I too noticed that the top of the control unit was pretty warm after about 30min of use, I dont remember it being hot at all before the new cell. From memory the amps were reading up in the 7 range, not sure if this is the source of the heat. The manual also says that the enclosure acts as a heat sink, so I guess the heat is to be expected. Maybe no heat means its not working.

One would wondering if very high internal resistances in the old cell caused the power draw to plummet, thus making it cooler before the new cell...

Arizonaoldman is offline ** No working email address ** Arizonaoldman 0

Unhappy Me too, me too

My Mineral Springs (AquaRite) unit is in it's 3rd summer and I have been adding tremendous amounts of salt since inception. Earlier this year I called and talked to a tech rep and went through all the button pushing exercises. He told me that the unit was bad and sent me a replacement. (He called later and told me that my original unit was given an acid bath and was in perfect working condition - I had thoroughly cleaned it several times before) The new unit was installed and was reading over 3600 ppm for about a week then began to slowly drop again. In two months I have added 140 pounds of salt and my reading is now at 2600.

I gotta tell you that I'm one frustrated puppy. I had the salt system installed with the pool in order to make things easier, but I'm still checking, rechecking, cleaning cells and adding salt frequently.

I do have a water feature and approximately 60 to 75% of my return is through this feature. I am presently using the bucket evaporation method of checking for a leak.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Ralph

Default Re: Me too, me too

One thing to remember, salt doesn't evaporate. The only way to lose salt is by backwashing, splashout, etc. If you are adding large amounts of salt and not backwashing or losing alot, something is giving you the wrong reading. Have a "pool store expert" check it and if it is WAY off from your reading, got a problem. Keep us posted.
    Brad
    27,000 IG Vinyl
    Aquarite SWG
    Still Learning Everyday

Arizona - do you have an auto-fill valve? Could you have a leak and that is why the salt readings are getting lower? Just a thought.
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Two thoughts....
    first, with that much return water going thru the water feature (I imagine it is a waterfall of some kind) you will probably have a lot of evaporation....but that should be concentrating your salt levels...not diluting it. What exactly is the water feature you have and is it a possible source of the leak. Other places to check for leaks are your skimmer and your light niches.

Second, it would be helpful if you could post a full set of test results for FC, TC, pH, Alk, Cal, CYA and Salt. If your cell is getting a lot of deposits it might mean that your Cal is very high. Also what is the surface of the pool (plaster, fiberglass, vinyl) and how many gallons?

BTW, low salt levels can cause a cell to die prematurely.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

The amps you are seeing are direct current amps, coming from the transistors and the associated heat sinks. The main source of heat should be coming from the transformer. If you measure the amps to the supply leads individually, you should get an idea of the heat generated by the transformer alone.

Pat

Arizonaoldman is offline ** No working email address ** Arizonaoldman 0

Cool Re: Aquarite problems

O.K. So here's the skinny. Yes, I have a waterfall and I have an auto-fill. I'm running a bucket test as I type and, since 7AM this morning I have lost 2" out of the pool and 7/8" out of the bucket. The pool is 16 x 41 fiberglass and 21,000 gallons. I have no idea what the surface area is (nor does the manufacturer - I called) so assuming that the surface area is 67% of the 16x41 I lost about 260 gallons in 12 hours. If that's my loss, then I do a complete change every 80 days, which dosn't include evaporation.

I Had the water checked today and my salt reading is right on.

Tomorrow I'm going to re-run the test after turning the waterfall off.

I'll report back.

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread