+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bird Repellent?

Default Bird Repellent?

Hello,

I live in North Alabama, and it seems that a bunch of birds have decided to use my IG pool as a toilet. There are many deposits on and around the coping. I am not sure what kind of birds they are, but it really makes a mess.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the birds not want to come around the pool?

Thanks...

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Bird Repellent?

If you come up with an answer to that one, I'll be glad to hear it--we've tried mothballs, rubber snakes, poisons of sorts, and destruction of the nests, and still they insist--ours are swallows that build under the eaves. I finally gave up and looked at the bright side--we have no mosquitoes, in the West Nile capital of the world!

Janet

Default Bird Repellent A/G Pool Top Rail

I have a bunch of birds taking dumps on the top rail. Has anyone tried decoy owls or anything else to keep them off their pool.

12 guage is quite effective

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

How about getting a cat or two or three. They make very effective bird deterrants! (and mine love sunning himself on the coping of the pool)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I too had a bird problem, my solar cover was covered with droppings after only two days. I tried rubber snakes and owls with no luck, I finally tied a piece of monofilament fishing line between two trees, about 15 feet over my pool....and the birds have moved over to my neighbors!!!! This has been the most effective deterrent yet and it is great because you can barely see it.

cajunfla is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst cajunfla 0

monofilament? what does that do to the birds? do they fly into it?

The birds don't fly in to it, I read on another site that they see multiple lines....my guess is that they are afraid to fly into it...so they avoid it altogether. The results have been fantastic, and way to simple....let me know if this works for anyone else. I also read that if one line didn't cut the mustard, try running another perpendicular to the first. Good Luck!

hzz is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst hzz 1 star

Quote Originally Posted by roxy
    The birds don't fly in to it, I read on another site that they see multiple lines....my guess is that they are afraid to fly into it...so they avoid it altogether. The results have been fantastic, and way to simple....let me know if this works for anyone else. I also read that if one line didn't cut the mustard, try running another perpendicular to the first. Good Luck!
    Exactly right....they won't fly in to it, for whatever reason.As you said, if one line doesn't work use more and criss-cross them.

Poconos told me about this last summer. I tied 3 lines of fishing line between two trees and the house criss crossing them - no more birds - it worked immediately. It's fun when the neighbors ask what the heck they are. I make them guess...

+ Reply to Thread