+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ozone or chlorine-above ground pool in FL

Default Ozone or chlorine-above ground pool in FL

I am SO confused! Which one is the best AND easiest?

Need to make up my mind so I can buy the pool. I have everything else picked out.

THANKS for any help!

Kim

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Ozone or chlorine-above ground pool in FL

Chlorine!!!

Chlorine pools are not hard to keep, with a little basic knowledge and a good test kit. Ozone is not efficient for an outdoor pool, because the water is only sterilized while it's in the ozone unit itself--once it goes out into the pool, you still have to maintain chlorine in the pool to keep the water sanitary. And...if you're gonna have to keep chlorine in the pool anyway, why not save yourself the cost of the ozone unit??

Tell us a little more about what you have picked out--we may be able to either confirm that you've made good choices, or save you from making some mistakes before you get too far into it....

Welcome to the forum!!
    Janet

http://www.nationalpoolwarehouse.com...ion.asp?t=0033

Which pool would YOU buy? Why?

We had a 33 round pool here when we moved in. I did/do NOT have a clue how to take care of it properly.

I had HUGE problems with too much stabilizer. It was WAY too high. I drained and filled many times but just could not get it under control. The local pool people are worthless I NOW think what my problem was when I shocked it. I used the shock packs I got from Sams. The liner gave out and we gave the pool away.

We are ready to get another pool but want to know how to do it the correct way this time so it will last a long time.

First step - pick a pool-it has to be 33 round as that is what the area and deck had before.

I am all "eyes" and willing to learn!

THANKS!

Kim

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

ozone is NOT an EPA approved primary residual sanitize. It really does not do a lot in an outdoor pool but can be of some use in an indoor pool as a SUPPLEMENTAL oxidizer. However, ozone is toxic so good air handling is crucial. Ozone mus be used with an EPA approved primary sanitizer (chlorine or bromine, bromine is not suitable for outdoor pools). Ozone can attack some plastics so it's use with vinyl liner pools is something I would question. ozone can actually increase chlorine usage since it tends to destroy chlorine.

Asking if you should use chlorine or ozone to santizer your pools ia an "apples and oranges" comparison. Ozone is a suppliment only and is not something that will keep your pool sanitized on it's own.

There are only 3 EPA approved primary sanitizers for pools:
    Chlorine
    Bromine (can't be stabilized against loss from sunlight so not a good choice for outdoor pools)
    Biguanide/peroxide (expensive, works ok for a year or so and then becomes a money pit with such problems as pink slime and white water mold. Most people convert to chlorine at this point...just check the forum for the stories!)

EVERYTHING ELSE is a supplimental or unnecessary product and must be used with one of the three above.
    This included ozone, UV, ionizers and mineral systems (which put metal into the water), enzymes, biofilm removinng products such as sphagnum moss bags (really? REALLY!?!), copper sulfate based products (copper sulfate is just an algaecide, not a santizer), magnets (these are not sold anymore from what I can tell but putting magnets on your pipes to 'magnetize' your pool water was one of the 'snake oils' that have been sold for pools just a few years back), etc.
    Some of these supplimental products such as UV or ozone can be beneficial in certain installaions such as high usage commercial pools or indoor pools but don't do much for outdoor residiential pools and can actually cause you to need MORE chlorine and not less, others are pure snake oil.

Hope this helps.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats000 View Post
    [url]http://www.nationalpoolwarehouse.com/above_ground_pools_selection.asp?t=0033[/url
    Unfortunately, I don't know AG pools other than Intex pools, but as I noted in your other post, you do NOT want to buy from a company that tries to hide where it is, and who it is. "nationalpoolwarehouse.com" seems to be as anonymous site as it's possible to have on the net. I strongly recommend against buying anything, much less something expensive like a 33' pool from a company trying to be that anonymous.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

thread moved properly so you can post again. -ben

Waterbear that DOES help! THANKS!

Ben-THANKS for the heads up on the company. I did not catch that about the company. Dodged that one thanks to you!

What a wonderful site!

THANKS!

Kim

Glad you got some great info and help here!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread