+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using sand to level an area for an Intex Metal Frame 15 x 48 pool

Default Using sand to level an area for an Intex Metal Frame 15 x 48 pool

Hi, New to the forum. I have read and read and read threads on the forum which have helped me tremendously. I have the area the pool will be set up leveled, for when it finally gets here.

My question is:
    The guy that actually did the work and I apparently had 2 diff ideas as to how I wanted it leveled. We have a slope of about 6 inches and he dug down that sloped side and proceeded to try and level the area. It was always my intention to put down a layer of sand below the ground cover. However, I didn't plan to use the sand as a leveler, which he did. I have a side where there is probably around 4" 's of sand. He has no barrier to hold that sand and I just know it is going to spread out once the weight of the water is involved. I have read various threads about not using sand vs using sand with some sort of a barrier to hold that sand in place. What type of barrier is considered the best to use? Also, I was thinking of putting some sort of block under the legs of the frame with the hope that will stop them from sinking down into the sand.

Any input here would be great seeing how my pool hasn't arrived yet and I still have time to fix/work with the job that was done. I would post a picture of the area, but I don't see an option for that at this time.
    Thank you in Advance.

Default Re: Using sand to level an area for an Intex Metal Frame 15 x 48 pool

I've decided to use pavers as a retaining wall on the high sand side. Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sorry your post & membership got lost in the crush; not sure if you still need help, but your membership has been upgraded. -ben

That's ok, so did my pool from Walmart, 2 times now. So I have a nice hole dug with a great retaining wall and grass regrowing. lol I don't think I was meant to have a pool this year. We'll see if it shows up by the 20th as stated. I'm sure if it does go up this summer I'll have some questions. At this point it's all been more hassle than it's been worth. But I'm gonna keep the faith things go as planned on the 3rd try. We might still get a good 4 wks in this season. ~;o)

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Just keep your eye on the goal--it's gonna be great when you get it in and get it running!!

Janet

Was just looking at the NWS projected temps for the next several months.....you may have more of a season than you think. 20 - 30 deg above normal throughout the midwest through nov.
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

Thanks Janet, that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

It's in Coldwater, MI now at the delivery facility, lets just hope it gets here for pick up tomorrow. Coldwater is only about 3-4 hours from here so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. ~;o)

Post Re: Using sand to level an area for an Intex Metal Frame 15 x 48 pool

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    Was just looking at the NWS projected temps for the next several months.....you may have more of a season than you think. 20 - 30 deg above normal throughout the midwest through nov.
    That is my hope Charles_R98146. I see you have the same type pool. What is the diameter of the pool after setup including leg room needed, do you know off hand? My circle is just short of 16ft, I hope that's gonna be enough room. Still need to get something to put under the legs so they don't completely sink. I have plenty of bricks I could sink into the sand, but IDK if that will totally prevent sink-age. It has to help to some degree I would think. One side has 8'' of sand and I know something has to be done or I will be off level quite a bit when the legs settle in while/after filling. I wish the description would have included how many legs and the distance between them, then I could really be ready when it gets here.

Happy swimming ~;o)

I leveled an area 17' in diameter, with a little digging, and some gravel and sand. I, too have a retaining wall around about 1/2 the circumference. If you haven't already done so, you will need to back up the retaining wall with dirt, like this:

The movement of the pool will "walk" the legs, which will tend to sink in the sand. Placing the legs on the pavers is a good idea, to help spread the load over a larger area.

The distance between the legs, measured at the top of the tees is ~37". Note that once the pool is filled, the legs will want to splay a bit, so you may have to adjust your pavers a bit to keep them from rubbing on the liner:

There are 15 legs.

You can probably see this in at least two of the pics.

Note the white sand under the liner. The sanded area is 16' 6" in diameter, and you can see how much is left showing.
    Last edited by Charlie_R; 07-13-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

Wow, nice Job Charlie! Job well done, looks great!
    We didn't think of backing up the retaining wall. We are using garden pavers that are 4" in depth and 11 3/4 in length on the side where the sand is about 8" high. Above ground level. Obviously we needed two layers of pavers to accomplish our goal. We back filled with more sand all along the wall itself thinking that would be enough to hold the sand in place and not have it wash out. This project was much more than I expected that's for sure.

Where the slope was (now dug down almost 8") I am worried that that side of the pool will be pushing up against the side of the hole. I wanted to back fill the slope difference, my helper did not. Before I knew it he had already started digging it out and by then it was just too late to turn back. I am def regretting we didn't level to 17'. This is my first time attempting such a project and I mentioned going the extra ft.. Because I had never done anything like this before I tended to listen to my helper who claims to have done this before. What do I know, ya know? I guess this year will be a learning experience and next year I fix all the mistakes.

I really appreciate you taking the time to measure the legs, taking pictures and telling me about the back fill on the outer side of the wall.
    Thank you so much, I am richer in knowledge because of your post and your kindness.
    15' x 48" round 4.4K gal Intex AG pool; Unicel Type C-5315 cartridge filter; Intex 633T pump; (24/7) Taylor 2006 kit; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; iPhone; PF:27

+ Reply to Thread