+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just chlorinating is NOT working.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Just chlorinating is NOT working.

He states above that his K-2006 arrived and his levels in post #7 are with that kit.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sorry. Missed that.

Ok sorry it took so long to reply. It most certainly is algae.

My filter was not filtering anything so i read another post about how your sand can get channeled. It said to stick a hose down into your filter and run it until the water is clear. It also said to do it for around fifteen minutes or so. I ran it for over an hour repositioning it every ten minutes or so. It was still spewing out green and brown bits but was much clearer so i tried to vacuum at first it seemed to be going well but about a third of the way through it started flowing back into the pool like it wasn't filtering again. I tried backwashing and got some very green water and tried filtering again but it was just going straight through. The nasty part is that there are chunks not pieces CHUNKS of green and brown algae mixed in with the filter sand I tried to get most of them out but there was just so much.

So do i need to replace the sand? I just did last year but left it out all winter and didnt use any winterizing agents to close it. Or should I just keep trying to clean the sand I have with the hopes that it will finally come clear?
    24' round 14.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach 6%; SwimPro High-Rate Sand Filter Model# SW236T sand filter; Century Pool / Jetted Tub Motor HP 1.0 pump; hrs; Chlorine/Ph from Walmart right now. Will be ordering the one suggested shortly though.; ground water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; ; PF:8.3

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

On a small filter like that, it sounds like the easiest solution would be to replace the sand, given that the filter is already open.

You *could* clean it up by adding bleach via the skimmer, or keeping a chlorine tab there. But it would take a while.

Meanwhile, do NOT let your chlorine levels in the pool drop. Pour bleach 'around' the pool, if the water is not circulating.

Ok so Saturday I cleaned every bit of sand out of my filter and sifted through it and rinsed it with water until it ran clear so it is virtually as clean as year old sand can be. I added an entire quart of the polyquat algaecide as you suggested and as the directions instructed (11-17 oz per 10,000 gal.) on Saturday. Sunday evening I added three gallons of 6% bleach as well as 32 oz of muriatic acid to lower pH which was over 8 at the time. As of Moday evening after work these are the numbers I am getting.
    FC= 7.5
    CC= 0
    pH= 7.7
    TA= 150
    CYA= 42
    I have sent pictures of what the condition of the pool is through the email you provided. I will continue sending measurements and pictures each day until we can figure this out. Can you let me know what I need to do as of today?
    24' round 14.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach 6%; SwimPro High-Rate Sand Filter Model# SW236T sand filter; Century Pool / Jetted Tub Motor HP 1.0 pump; hrs; Chlorine/Ph from Walmart right now. Will be ordering the one suggested shortly though.; ground water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; ; PF:8.3

I'll post the pictures shortly; the pictures make it completely clear your problem is definitely algae.

I have once, maybe twice, encountered algae that was extremely resistant to chlorine. (It may, or may not have been resistant to other things -- I didn't try!). In one case, it took around 40 ppm (roughly, this was before DPD-FAS kits were available) of chlorine to have an effect, and about 60 to kill it. Stabilizer was in the 40 - 60 ppm range.

1. If you have any more acid, lower the pH to around 7.4
    2. Get 18 gallons of plain 6% bleach. (~80 ppm of chlorine)
    3. Run the pump 24/7
    4. Tomorrow, starting as early as you can, begin adding bleach 3 gallons at a time, every 1/2 hour.
    5. Continue adding till you see a color change in the algae, and then add 1 more dose.
    6. The next morning, add 3 more gallons.
    7. Make sure that you have at least 12 gallons on hand the 2nd evening.
    8. When you get home, the 2nd evening, add 3 more gallons if there is the slightest hint of a green color. Test, and verify that the chlorine is still high (OTO orange) - if it is not, add 3 more gallons.
    9. Then and then BRUSH the pool completely.
    10. Wait 1 hour, and test -- if the chlorine is not high (OTO orange) add 3 more gallons.
    11. Keep an eye on your filter, and clean it as soon as you notice flow dropping off. There is going to be a LOT of dead algae to filter out.

You don't want to go further than you have to; it may bleach your liner somewhat. When I've done this, I've been working on concrete, not liner pools.

Also, if you can take pictures as you go (each 1/2 hour) that would be great. It would help lots of other people get a clear idea of what they are looking for, when chlorinating algae.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

WOW! That's some green pool. Can you say YUCK! Do take pictures as Ben suggested. You're gonna be amazed to watch the improvement as the bleach is added. It will be dramatic!

Ok I've done like you've asked and applied the bleach as you instructed. Pictures have been sent. I'm not really seeing much of a difference yet though. I'll do another three in the morning and send pictures before I leave and after I get home.

Yeah. I emailed you. Please add 3 more in the AM and take more pics.

I'm surprised that 36 ppm is having no effect. Oddly enough, we have two other similar threads running like this.

Here's the one with the most info:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17752

+ Reply to Thread