+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Confused

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Confused

Just to reiterate, to make sure you didn't miss it--with a CYA of 55, you need to keep a minimum of 5 ppm chlorine in your water at all times. Anna gave you some basic doseages and the results, so you need to test the water daily, and add whatever amount of bleach you need to get back up over 5 ppm. (I would dose it to about 8 ppm in the evening just to give you some wiggle room).

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by newbiepool View Post
    Our pH is about 7.5, FC 6-10, TA took about 30 drops to get from green to pinkish red. I am using the HTH kit from Wal Mart.
    Because I am not familiar with the HTH kit I would like to ask you or someone who does use this kit how TA is tested for. The Taylor kit I use values each drop of titrant at 10 ppm. If, with my kit, I counted 30 drops to get from green to red (or pink) I would have a TA of 300. I just want to make sure that we're working with the right number.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Anna, unless they've changed the test, the math is the same as what we use--each drop is 10 ppm.

Janet

Thanks Janet.

Newbiepool, that means at 30 drops your TA is 300 ppm. That means your well water is highly alkaline unless you've put something in the pool water to account for this number. In the pool it can show up as total dissolved solids (TDS) and make the water look mildly cloudy. It can also cause scaling or corrosion of metal parts. There are ways to bring that down but if your well water is highly alkaline, every time you top the pool off you're adding it back.

I would like to ask for input from the mods or Ben as to how, or even if, the alk should be managed.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

I'm sure Pooldoc will offer an opinion here, but as far as I'm concerned, if the pH is stable, and there are no other apparent problems from it, leave it alone. You can fight the battle to bring it down, but as Anna pointed out, everytime you top the pool off, it's just going to come back up again...so if it's not creating problems for you now, I wouldn't worry about it.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

By the way, Anna, the HTH 6-Way kit just uses an OTO test for the chlorine.

+ Reply to Thread