+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

Default First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filled pool week ago then shocked with liquid shock from Leslies and been using Chlor-Brite dichlor 1 ounce a day. Pool holds 5700 gallons. Today used Taylor for first time.
    FC .4 and CC .4 so basically no chlorine. PH 7 TA 40 PPM AND CAYA SEEMS TO BE zero.
    So I need to add stuff and FAST.. Have all necessary ingredients (Bleach, Baking Soda and Borax!)but not sure HOW MUCH of each.
    Thanks...
    Marcy

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you've been using dichlor, then you have some CYA in there, but apparently just enough to be detected yet. It has to be at 30ppm before it will show on the test.

In your pool, each quart of 6% bleach will add about 2.5ppm of chlorine. So, go ahead and add a 2 qts. Also, add a cup of Borax slowly to the skimmer, wait a couple hours, retest and redose until you get the pH around 7.4-7.6, although anywhere between 7.2-7.8 is ok. You can also add a lb. of baking soda, then test it a few hours later and add more til you are around 80-100. Add it in the same way as the Borax. By the way, you can add bleach, borax and baking soda one right after the other with no problems.

Are you going to continue using dichlor or switch to bleach?

By the way, use the 10ml sample instead of the 25ml so it will make your reagents last longer. The multiplier will be 0.5 instead of 0.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    If you've been using dichlor, then you have some CYA in there, but apparently just enough to be detected yet. It has to be at 30ppm before it will show on the test.

In your pool, each quart of 6% bleach will add about 2.5ppm of chlorine. So, go ahead and add a 2 qts. Also, add a cup of Borax slowly to the skimmer, wait a couple hours, retest and redose until you get the pH around 7.4-7.6, although anywhere between 7.2-7.8 is ok. You can also add a lb. of baking soda, then test it a few hours later and add more til you are around 80-100. Add it in the same way as the Borax. By the way, you can add bleach, borax and baking soda one right after the other with no problems.

Are you going to continue using dichlor or switch to bleach?

By the way, use the 10ml sample instead of the 25ml so it will make your reagents last longer. The multiplier will be 0.5 instead of 0.2.
    THANKS..but I'm bad..Couldnt wait.. Added 3 oz of dichlor..Waited 4 hours of running filter then just added 16 oz of borax. Just pool calculator. Think I should add baking soda too since TA low BUT should I wait and retest??
    Also, as far as dichlor or bleach...I now have loads of both so WHAT should I do???
    BTW pool water looks great...Just got out!
    Marcy

BTW Just paid to join..Is my response to you ...still in moderation?
    OK I'll repeat it...Before I got your answer I added 3 oz dichlor..Let filter run 3 hours and added 16 oz of borax. Used Pool calculator...Should I test before adding baking soda??15 oz too much?
    I hope I didnt mess up by not waiting for answer. Thats WHY I subscribed!!
    Have bucket of dichlor and 6 big jugs of Clorox here so I can go either way now. What should I do?
    Last edited by mroll; 06-28-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: more info:joined..

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Since your CYA is low, go ahead and use your dichlor for awhile but monitor the CYA level. When it gets to 50, switch to bleach only.

Wait a couple hours after you added the borax, retest and redose if needed. You can go ahead and add a little baking soda.

Did you buy a K-2006 kit? If not, you really should. It will make your pool care much easier on you.

Thanks for the subscription!

Since your CYA is low, go ahead and use your dichlor for awhile but monitor the CYA level. When it gets to 50, switch to bleach only.

Wait a couple hours after you added the borax, retest and redose if needed. You can go ahead and add a little baking soda.

Did you buy a K-2006 kit? If not, you really should. It will make your pool care much easier on you.

Thanks for the subscription!
    YEP All these levels i got from the Taylor 2006..Will switch to the 10ml instead of 25 as you suggested...
    THANKS
    PH normal now..little more baking soda and TA should be too. Hey this isnt hard....
    Last edited by mroll; 06-28-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mroll View Post
    [B] Hey this isnt hard....
    You're right! Once you understand the basics, it isn't hard at all. The key is to be consistent. If you maintain your chemistry consistently, you won't have water problems!

OK So HOW often do I use the Taylor testing? and How often do I use the regularly cheap one? and one last question (hopefully for now)when would you suggest I do the CYA again...after how many days of using dichlor..cause once its normal I'll go to beach???
    THANKS
    Oh I hope I dont 'eat' those (Hey this isnt hard) words!!!!!
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

While you are adjusting things and learning how to use your new kit, use it daily for a few days. Then, you can switch to using your OTO for daily testing and use the good kit once a week or so. I'd check the CYA weekly while you are adding dichlor. There is only enough reagent for 5 or 6 tests I believe. One thing to remember that may help you judge how much CYA you are adding is that for every 10ppm of chlorine that dichlor adds, it also adds 9ppm of CYA. Once the CYA is around 50, go to using bleach.

While you are adjusting things and learning how to use your new kit, use it daily for a few days. Then, you can switch to using your OTO for daily testing and use the good kit once a week or so. I'd check the CYA weekly while you are adding dichlor. There is only enough reagent for 5 or 6 tests I believe. One thing to remember that may help you judge how much CYA you are adding is that for every 10ppm of chlorine that dichlor adds, it also adds 9ppm of CYA. Once the CYA is around 50, go to using bleach.
    How do I know the ppm of chlorine I'm adding??? I add the dichlor by the ounce. I think I need to up the amount then test in a few days for the CYA. Right now the FC goes from 0 to 1.5 and the CC from 0 to 1...This is getting frustrating.. I take back the ay part. Especially since pool water looks so good!
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

+ Reply to Thread