+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

Default Re: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tested twice Early am with cheap kit TC was 3+today. just now FC 2.5 cc 0 TA 100 PH 7.2.. Can ph e low and TA high??? Put in 3 ounces dichlor I think I must be raising my CYA finally..I am running out of powder to test FC already..
    Am I on the right track to getting this stuff right and hopefully testing once a day??????????
    Can my FC be 2.5 or 3 and be fine?????????
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Your TA and pH are fine right now. Don't worry about your TA at all. Worry about your pH if it gets below 7.0, but then just add some Borax to bring it back up (the dichlor is driving it down). Your FC of 2.5 or 3 is fine as long as your CYA level is less than 30 ppm. Once you get to the 30-50 ppm range, you need to keep no lower than 3 ppm of chlorine in the pool.

You can order new powder from several places, including Amazon, Taylortechnologies, or spspoolspas.

Janet

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I think you've shown that you're holding FC through the day so testing once a day is fine. But, please dose 4oz dichlor until the residual FC is at least 3ppm.
    As far as running out of powder, you can conserve by using one dipper - if the sample turns pink, it's enough.
    I think you're on the right track - just have to keep the FC above minimum at all times.
    Are you uncomfortable with FC at 2.5ppm or 3ppm? I don't understand.
    How much total dichlor have you used so far?

Janet, I f I order anything I will link through here!
    Dave, A little less than 2 lbs so far of dichlor. I will throw in another ounce now. Put 3 in a little awhile ago.
    NOT uncomfortable with FC at 2.5, 3...I didnt know the difference till I joined here!!! LOL
    Once my CYA gets in 30-50 range and FC around 3, how much bleach per day would my pool take??
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

In your pool, a quart of 6% bleach will add around 2.5ppm of chlorine. So, once your CYA is somewhere between 30-50 and you go to testing chlorine in the evenings only, you'll just use that as a reference to figure out how much to add to take your chlorine level back up to around 6. If you find that by the next evening, your chlorine level has fallen below 3ppm, then you'll want to add enough bleach to get to 7ppm. You'll soon learn how high you need to take the chlorine each evening to make sure you don't fall below 3 by the following evening.

OK Hopefully last question on this..Seem to be holding FC of 3 throughout the day and night. Adding 3 ounces dichlor at night. Will retest CYA on Friday. IF I'm up between 30-50 range, hopefully finally, and I'm maintaining FC 3, CAN I just add 2 cups bleach per night???
    AND if I fall below the FC3 then add 2 ounces dichlor instead of bleach OR double the bleach to 4 cups???
    Need to leave instruction for son after next week.

(If I'm still not in the 30-50 range I will continue with 3-4 ounces dichlor for another week)

Quote Originally Posted by mroll View Post
    OK Hopefully last question on this..Seem to be holding FC of 3 throughout the day and night. Adding 3 ounces dichlor at night. Will retest CYA on Friday. IF I'm up between 30-50 range, hopefully finally, and I'm maintaining FC 3, CAN I just add 2 cups bleach per night???
    AND if I fall below the FC3 then add 2 ounces dichlor instead of bleach OR double the bleach to 4 cups???
    Need to leave instruction for son after next week.

(If I'm still not in the 30-50 range I will continue with 3-4 ounces dichlor for another week)
    OK same today so I really would appreciate guidance on how to continue. Thanks

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I didn't see your post yesterday mroll, I'm sorry.

Let me see if I understand: You are adding 3 oz dichlor every night after testing and every evening when you test your FC is 3. You are leaving Friday, July 20. If this is not true, tell me.

I recommend you keep dosing 3oz of dichlor a night after measuring FC, CC and pH.
    If you read more than 4ppm FC, dose 2oz dichlor instead of 3oz.
    Add Borax if pH gets below 7.2.

By next Thursday, you should have about 3-1/2lbs of dichlor in the pool with a calculated CYA of 40ppm.
    Adjust pH to 7.4-7.6 before turning the pool over to your son.

While you're away, have your son do this every afternoon:
    Test pool water with OTO.
    If OTO shows 3ppm or less, add 6 Cups plain 6% bleach.
    If OTO shows more than 3ppm, add 3 Cups bleach.
    If your son has a pool party, add 8 Cups bleach before the party, test OTO ASAP after the party and add 3 Cups of bleach if OTO reads under 3ppm, repeat OTO test and 3 Cups bleach every 1/2 hour until OTO reads above 5ppm.
    Have a great trip and don't worry about the pool.
    Run a full set of tests when you return.

Keep us updated until you leave.

OH NO!! WHAT HAPPENED????????????
    NOW today MY FC IS 4ppm CC .5ppm PH LOW AND CYA WENT TO 65...SO NO MORE DICHLOR, RIGHT? Just added borax..WHY did CYA go from nothing to 65?????????????oh just added inch or so of water to pool BUT did that last week too with no problems...

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If your CYA is 65, then it's time to stop using the dichlor and switch to bleach. It's also time for you to keep a minimum of 5 ppm of chlorine in the pool at all times. Sometimes it just takes a few days for it to register. You've been using a lot of dichlor, so I'm not surprised it's risen a bit. If your pH is below 7.0, dose it with Borax to bring it back up to the 7.2-7.6 range.

Relax--it's just a pool!!

Janet

+ Reply to Thread