+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How sure are you of that 1 lb value? If you're sure, I'm sure. Provided there is no other source of CYA.
    Let's just be sure we keep enough chlorine in the pool is little too much is fine, too little - highly ungood.
    Shock: When you have consistent CC above 0.5ppm or when you have algae, or when someone has an accident in the pool.

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    How sure are you of that 1 lb value? If you're sure, I'm sure. Provided there is no other source of CYA.
    Let's just be sure we keep enough chlorine in the pool is little too much is fine, too little - highly ungood.
    Shock: When you have consistent CC above 0.5ppm or when you have algae, or when someone has an accident in the pool.
    Ok I'm sure I added in about 18 ounces dichlor since filling pool. ALSO after filled added 1 gallon Shock from Leslies.. Bottle says Sodium Hyprochlorite 10% and 'other ingredients 90%..WHATS that about???
    Today tested 8 am with cheap tester TC 3+, tested again 2 pm with Taylor FC 2.5 CC less than .5..(Both times sunny)Will test again at 6. It is cloudy now.
    BTW...What is 'consistent" CC above .5...several days?
    Just want to get to point where I can use the beach.......
    THANKS SO VERY VERY MUCH
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

On the liquid chlorine, it is 10% sodium hypochlorite and the other 90% is probably water. Regular bleach is 6% sodium hypo and 94% water.

When you do the CC (combine chlorine) test, ideally you want the result to be 0, but up to 0.5 is ok. When you have readings that are higher than that, it means you are fighting something in the water and thus the need to shock the pool.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

10% sodium hypochlorite is just fine, it's strong bleach. Ultra bleach is usually about 6% sodium hypochlorite, there is some economy bleach that's 3% (it's usually not economical). Pool stores sell Liquid Chlorine / Liquid Shock at 10% sodium hypochlorite or 12.5% sodium hypochlorite. It's OK, the 90% is water and a little salt.

FC of 2.5ppm is getting uncomfortably close to your target minimum of 2ppm. I would add chlorine if I got that close. How about we increase your dose to 4oz dichlor and see how we fare. Please put it in as soon as you can but wait to test until later.

Yep, consistent - a couple days where you're reading CC at 0.5ppm or more. If you have CC in one test then gone the next it's not a concern.

I'd be more comfortable if your FC was staying well above the minimum, let's dose a little more aggressively with 4oz at a time until that gets to be too much.
    Last edited by BigDave; 07-07-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Mom's quicker than me again. I wouldn't last long in the old west.

OK cheap tested at 6pm..Got 3..seems to be holding but put 3 ounces dichlor. Oops should of put in 4 as Dave suggested.
    Tested again now at 8pm..FC 5!!! CC .5....
    Will test twice tomorrow then increase to 4 ounces in you still think its necessary.
    I just want when I go on vacation in less than 2 weeks, my sons to be able to use a few cups of bleach each day and not worry about Taylor testing..sigh..................
    M
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

5ppm FC is fine, no need for "!!!". 5ppm is in your nomal range - a little overshoot is OK but hitting the minimum is cause for immediate action.

No reason to sigh, we now know that you can maintain FC dosing only once daily. Your FC will last even longer after a few more days of dichlor. Do you think your sons will be able to do the OTO test daily?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Bleach/LC is made from brine, salt water as salt is NaCl--sodium chloride.

I just tested Namco LC, listed as 12.5%. Came in at 10%. When I buy 12.5% from Sun Pools in Greenbrook, NJ, it tests at 14% or better. Just sayin'....
    Carl

5ppm FC is fine, no need for "!!!". 5ppm is in your nomal range - a little overshoot is OK but hitting the minimum is cause for immediate action.

No reason to sigh, we now know that you can maintain FC dosing only once daily. Your FC will last even longer after a few more days of dichlor. Do you think your sons will be able to do the OTO test daily?
    Am getting frustrated with these numbers....
    At 9 am today the FC is 3.5, CC was bewteen .5 and 1...perhaps since we added about 2 inches more of our hose water to pool yesterday???. I will test again late afternoon before I put in dichlor and will put in 4 ounces tonight, RIGHT?

My sons are adults and one is majoring in chemistry so they better be able to do the OTO test Now whether they will, is another question. But when that time comes I need to know how much bleach they should put in. Bought 6 gallons of Clorox..was on sale 3 for $5..Leslie Shock is 2 for $10.
    THANK AGAIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm sorry you're frustrated, I don't see why.
    Municipal water is often sanitized with monochloramine which reads as CC. This may be the cause of your CC but if it persists, we'll talk about shocking the pool.
    I'm concerned that you lost 1.5ppm FC overnight. If you can, test at lunchtime today to be sure you're not getting to the minimum. Dose 4oz dichlor if you are below 3ppm.

I'm sorry you're frustrated, I don't see why.
    Municipal water is often sanitized with monochloramine which reads as CC. This may be the cause of your CC but if it persists, we'll talk about shocking the pool.
    I'm concerned that you lost 1.5ppm FC overnight. If you can, test at lunchtime today to be sure you're not getting to the minimum. Dose 4oz dichlor if you are below 3ppm.
    OK rest of day around 3..I dosed with 4 ounces anyway around 5 pm and hour later was about FC 5..CC is back to zero.

+ Reply to Thread