+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

Default Re: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Please also do pH. 3+ OTO is what I'd like to see. We can run the recipie for your son for a couple days and see how it goes. Thanks.
    OK Tested. FC 4, CC .5, PH 7.2 BUT when I look down into it, its more reddish. Anyway added 2 cups bleach and 2 cups borax. OH redid CYA and it read 30.. Dont know what happened the other day. 30 makes more sense at this time, right?
    (BTW how come on the OTO test they say 3 is too high and 1.5 2 is ideal???)
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Sounds like you're in good shape. Follow the recipie for your son while you're home to prove to youself it'll work. Test chlorine and pH daily (FC and CC as long as you can). The bleach program should be pH neutral so get it near 7.5 before you leave and your son won't have to worry about it.

Please dose 3 cups bleach not 2, I think 2 will let your FC get too low and you don't want trouble now.

Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by mroll View Post
    (BTW how come on the OTO test they say 3 is too high and 1.5 2 is ideal???)
    These dosing recommendations are based on old beliefs that don't account for the presence and the effect of stabilizer (CYA) in pool water.

OK so you dont think I should add any more dichlor if CYA only 30???...so hard for me to read that..I see dot..I dont see dot..I see dot!! geez
    Also..there are some little pieces of black on bottom of pool..some about 1/4 inch,,some look like strips..not a lot but annoying since I see them again the day after I vacuum. I am going to try to remove it with hand skimmer today. Dirt? dead Algae?
    I dont know if its blowing in..very windy here ..The pool is used just by my husband and me..
    (should this be posted somewhere else??)
    Thanks..
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I think for your goal of turning the pool over to your son with a simplified recipie for your vacation, you're fine. This is based on the fact that you can hold chlorine above minimum with daily dosing.
    We'll be glad to help you bring your CYA up a little more and figure out what the black stuff is after you return. The CYA test is the most difficult to read and subjective, I always have a hard time trying to figure out if I see the black dot or the shadow of my head.

Will your son brush the pool for you as well or is that out of the question?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Will your son brush the pool for you as well or is that out of the question?
    I think for most sons, asking them to brush too is pushing it! I should know. I have 3 of them! If he'll just add some chlorine, I'd say you're doing well!

Still FC 4 CC 0 PH still low..we dont have a brush...lol..should I get one? You are right Watermom.. Have 3 'adult' sons..Brush pool?????
    OH BTW the 'black' spots were leaves from bushes..Put 3 cups bleach in tonight..going to add more borax..Whats with that???

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The dichlor is acidic and pushes pH down...just keep it in the 7.2-7.8 range and you'll be fine.

Mroll; I'm really glad to see your FC is still 4ppm and your CC is back to 0ppm - good news.
    I'm also really glad to hear you've identified the black spots - I was a little worried it might be something growing and that's why I asked about brushing. Yep, a pool brush is a good tool to have and use, it physically breaks up colonies / biofilms so the chlorine can get to 'em. I think it was Waterbear who compared brushing your pool to brushing your teeth - has to be done to stay clean.

aylad; while I usually wouldn't advise messing with pH that's between 7.0 and 8.0, I've asked mroll to move the pH to near 7.5 to provide a cushion for the upcoming vacation with minimal poolcare provided by sons.

Tonight FC is 3.5 and CC still 0.. PH up to 7.5. Bought a brush. will use tomorrow..Put 3 cups bleach in tonight. I think I may have used 2 cups last night. my error...
    I think I'm OK....

I think you're OK too!

+ Reply to Thread