+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have FC at the end of the day, before you add chlorine?

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Do you have FC at the end of the day, before you add chlorine?
    Been checking in the morning only before burns off. Today was FC 3; PH 7.2 TA 80-90..Will check again late afternoon before put in dichlor again. thanks.
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

"Burns off" is what I'm getting to. If you can, test and add dichlor(if needed) more often to keep it from ever getting to the minimum reccomendation of Ben's Best Guess Chart.
    If you can only test / dose daily, please test before adding chlorine and increase the amount you add until you do have an FC residual the next time you test.

I guess I'm not understanding the Best Guess Chart. I thought I was within range considering my CYA is under 30.
    By a FC residual, you mean when I etst at night I still have chlorine registering?
    Sorry when I had a pool years ago didnt test like this...BUT spent an awful lot on crappy chemicals!!
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

Yep, You should always have Free Chlorine in your pool. When I say residual, I meant still some left after it's been used by sun and swimmers.

You are on the Best Guess Chart (good) in the morning when you test. I highly suspect that the sun depletes all your chlorine pretty quickly however.

I'm asking you to test several times a day because you are in start-up mode, with very little CYA in the water and we want to you maintain FC to keep the pool sanitary and clear. Once we know that we're holding FC throughout the day, we can back off to daily testing.

If it's not possible to test several times a day, then I'll ask you to use larger and larger doses of chlorine until you do have enough FC remaining at the end of the day.

OK FC at 8 am 2.5; at 2pm 2.0; 4;30 pm 1.5 so it maintained more than half; putting 3 oz of dichlor in now instead of 2 oz--Is that enough FC at end of day??? THANKS...............

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'd try for 2-3ppm left at the end of the day with CYA less than 30. You want to not let it be lower than the minimum level on the Best Guess Chart at the end of the day, so that will rise as your CYA rises.

Sounds like that might do it for you, we'll know tomorrow afternoon when you test. I'm glad you're not dropping to 0.

As you now have used about a pound of dichlor, your CYA should be over 10ppm moving you into the second band of Ben's Best Guess Chart and setting your new minimum FC target to 2ppm.

Was the weather cloudy today? Is your pool in shade? It seems like a pretty low FC loss for ~10ppm CYA.
    Last edited by BigDave; 07-06-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Sorry ma - you post faster than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    I'd try for 2-3ppm left at the end of the day with CYA less than 30. You want to not let it be lower than the minimum level on the Best Guess Chart at the end of the day, so that will rise as your CYA rises.
    AND when do you suggest shocking? Only after rain or once a week??

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Sounds like that might do it for you, we'll know tomorrow afternoon when you test. I'm glad you're not dropping to 0.

As you now have used about a pound of dichlor, your CYA should be over 10ppm moving you into the second band of Ben's Best Guess Chart and setting your new minimum FC target to 2ppm.

Was the weather cloudy today? Is your pool in shade? It seems like a pretty low FC loss for ~10ppm CYA.
    ACTUALLY HOT AND SUNNY TODAY...Pool in sun till about 6pm!! ummm maybe my CYA is higher but not registering yet???????????

+ Reply to Thread