+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: First Time using Taylor HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 5700 gallons, each 2.5 ounces of dichor should add roughly 2 ppm of chlorine to your pool.

Janet

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Have you kept track of the amount of dichlor you've already added? Each pound of dichlor should add about 11ppm CYA to your pool. no need to test for CYA until you've added about three pounds.

You do need to keep your FC higher, letting it fall to 0 invites an algae bloom. Please review Ben's Best Guess Chart; it provides Free Chlorine target ranges for varrying CYA ranges. Never let the FC fall below the minimum for you CYA.

If you've used less than a pound of dichlor then you should be in the first target band(0-10). When you've used about a pound of dichlor, start targeting the second band(10-20) and when you're into your third pound, move to the third band(30-50).

Test your FC and pH as often as you can at the beginning, the sun will burn off FC fast in a pool with little CYA. Be sure to keep an eye on pH as dichlor will cause it to fall (add Borax when it gets to 7.0).

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

WHOA...I only added about 8 ounces of dichlor so far. FC is 2 this morning! Thing is I need to get this stablized before we go away in 2 1/2 weeks. That way my son could just add bleach while I'm gone (1/2 gallon perday????)
    So perhaps I should put in 2.5 ounces of dichlor per night instead of 1 ounce??? Getting confused..............
    OR Should I buy I separate stabilizer, dump it in and then just use bleach??
    I realize there are many questions here but I REALLY appreciate all this help.. THANKS
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If you want to have a substantial amount of stabilizer in the pool in 2 weeks, then you'll need to add it separately. However, if adding a couple of ounces of dichlor in the evening is holding your chlorine all day, then you can just have your son do that. Either way works, it just depends on what's easier for you.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm a little concerned that you've reported FC of 0. You may be losing all your FC each day.

Are you available to test / dose more often during the day? If you can, I'd recommend you dose 2oz to 3oz of dichlor at a time (a little overshoot won't hurt) and never let FC fall below the Best Guess minimum. If you can only test / dose once a day, I'd recommend you keep increasing the dose until you still have the minimum FC when you test again.

Adding information from another post regarding this same situation to this thread in an effort to keep it all in one place. mroll, please continue this thread with your testing/chlorine issue so that you don't have responses to the same situation scattered out over the forum. I'll delete your other post.... thanks, Aylad
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Using Taylor for 4 days now... I should mention first that the water is beautiful. HOWEVER, I cannot get Free Chlorine up. It went from .4 to 1.5 to zero!! Perhaps I test at the wrong time of the day. I test around 5 pm right before I add chemicals and run filter. Is this wrong?????
    PH is now normal..TA a little low at 70. (Just added baking soda) Two days ago CYA was non-existing too. Been putting in 1 ounce of dichlor a day but just now put in 1 1/2 ounces. Want to get these numbers in line so I can start using BBB. THANKS...
    So glad I joined. this forum is wonderful................

As long as you don't have stabilizer in the water, the sun is going to deplete your chlorine. Try adding your dichlor tonight, then measure your chlorine after the sun is off the pool. In the morning, measure the chlorine before the sun hits the pool. This will tell us if there is something in the water eating the chlorine, or if the sun is consuming it during the day. If the loss is to the sun, then you simply need to add chlorine at some point during the day so that it never goes to zero. Once you have some stabilizer in the water, then you can dose the pool daily and should be able to maintain the levels you want. If the loss is overnight, then you have something in the pool that needs to be killed, and that's accomplished by shocking the pool.

FC levels are about 2-2.5 in morning now. TA going up finally around 80-90. Tested CYA again yesterday. STILL
    No reading yet.. everything else is fine..Strange?
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

How much total dichlor have you added so far? You won't be able to get a reading until you work your way up to a total of about three pounds. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying throw 3lbs in, remember what aylad said
    In 5700 gallons, each 2.5 ounces of dichor should add roughly 2 ppm of chlorine to your pool.

Well, only about 1 lb so far. At this rate ( 2 ounces per evening) will hit 3 lbs. when I'm on vacation. Should I have my son continue with the 2 ounces per night. Then when I get home it will have had bout 4 lbs of dichlor total put in. Will that make the CYA too high or normal range? Thanks so very much.

+ Reply to Thread