+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green water problem.

Default Green water problem.

I’ve got a 22’ x 51” Intex Ultra Frame pool filled by the local VFD with about 10,250 gallons of “questionable on source” water. I have no clue where the first 2,000 gallons came from, but it was pretty murky. I put in about 1000 gallons of my well water that is so hard that it is off the charts and the rest came from a local pond that seemed low on algae.

I’ve got an Intex Krystal Clear 14” Sand Filter pump (Model: SF15110)filled with 55# of pool filter sand and a Krystal clear Saltwater System (Model: CS8110) installed on the pool. I dissolved 260# of salt in the water before kicking on the saltwater system. I don't know if the loacation makes any differnce, but I live in central Wisconsin.

I let the system run for two days and yesterday I “vacuumed” a lot of “yucky red stuff” off the bottom of the pool.
    The water seems to be pretty clean, but it still has a greenish tint to it. But, it no longer smells like a swamp!
    I only have the cheap three way test strips and they read: .03 on the free chlorine, PH is > 8.5, Alkalinity is 240 and the copper is 0.1. (I plan on getting a better test kit later today.)
    Anyway do you have any suggestions on how to clean up my green pool water? I have read on some of the posts that you suggest putting household beach in the water even if a salt system is used.

I’m sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to give you as much information that I could.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Green water problem.

It just wears out salt systems to use them to clean swamp water; they are put to much better use maintaining chlorine levels in a pool that's up and running.

1. Read the muriatic acid guide in my signature; get (2) gallons of acid, and start lowering your pH. Do NOT add the acid to the skimmer.

2. Run your pump 24/7 -- but don't swim while it's running unless you have a GFCI:
    ( TRC 90265-6-012 Shockshield Yellow Portable GFCI Plug )

3. Lower your pH to 7.8 or so using muriatic acid added to the pool about a quart at a time.

4. Add bleach, 1/2 gallon at a time, to the skimmer till your chlorine is 2 - 4 ppm, in the AM

5. While you are waiting to order a K-2006, see if you can find a HTH 6-way kit at Walmart. If not, get a CYA reading from a dealer.

6. If you have no CYA, get some dichlor, and use it, instead of bleach, till you have enough stabilizer.

7. Read the Intex recipe for links and more info: www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17055

8. You have iron in your water. If orange or brown stains on your pool are going to drive you nuts, read the Ascorbic acid page, so you can consider your options: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?7923

+ Reply to Thread