+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rust stains from nails

Condo Steve Guest

Default rust stains from nails

Hi,
    After Hurricane Wilma, our pool had several metal nails blown into it. They were not removed promptly (we were picking up branches and shingles and such) and now there are rust stains the size and shape of 10d nails on the plaster bottom. Is there a localized way of removing rust stains under water without acidifying the whole pool?

Thanks,

Condo Steve

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: rust stains from nails

Try taking a couple of vitamin C tablets, crushing them, putting them in a sock and rubbing it on the stain. You can also use ph down in a sock and doing the same thing. Let us know how this works.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Condo Steve Guest

Something to do this weekend. Swim down and rub the Vitamin-C pouch on the stain underwater?
    I'll try it.

Thanks a bunch,

Condo Steve

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Yeah, but if the water is too cold, you can attach it to the skimmer pole and use that, or get a wet suit? Ha, ha, I finally opened my pool today and wow is it cold!
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Condo Steve Guest

I'm in S. FLorida. Raiding the wife's medicine cabinet, now.
    500 mg. Vit. C at the ready. Will locate crappy sock for sacrifice tomorrow.
    Thanks a bunch,

Condo Steve

Condo Steve Guest

The sock failed. What's option "B"?
    I rubbed that stain with a sock on the end of a pole for about five minutes. I couldn't see any difference.

Thanks,

Condo Steve

I'm not sure. Did you try some ph down? Since your pool is plaster, what about using something like a "stain eraser" or a pumice stone. You can use the stain eraser - it is sold at most pool stores - or online. It is like a rubber eraser with a little pumice in it. I'm just thinking that you need something to rub the vitamin c or ph down into the stain a little harder. You can also put in some sequestering agent, run your ph between 7 & 7.2, and see if that lifts the stain off. Let us know the results.
    Northeast PA

Try a "Magic Erasier", they really are magic.

+ Reply to Thread