+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Constant Battle

Default Constant Battle

I have never had this problem before and am getting frustrated! It has been pretty hot here and no rain at all this summer. I test the water every other day. The numbers look fine then all the sudden I will be in the pool like happened on sunday and a hunk of algae floats by me. The water is crystal clear and sparkling. This happened twice before. Shocked the pool got the numbers perfect again and a week later I was laying in the pool and another hunk of algae floated by.... What is going on?? Its never dropping in chlorine. I have an automatic chlorinator running just to be sure because Im getting so frustrated.

My last numbers I had were wacky because I was shocking but I can tell you that the CYA is sitting about 15-20 right now. I used a power shock this time because it was actually only at 13 so I wanted to bring it up a bit and figured that was a good way to do it. Any suggestions? Not sure if this is enough info.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Constant Battle

Can you post some current water testing results and tell us what kind of kit was used to get them? Also, list what all you have added to the pool ---- meaning ingredients and not just 'shock.' Make sure you also give the ingredients in your tabs. How long have you been using trichlor tabs?

I dont have my test results with me at work but I will post them when I get home. Like I said I shocked the pool yesterday so they were kind of wacky. I used powdered Turbo Shock which is just a cal hypo shock product that has a high concentration of chlorine. I use tabs in the heat of summer when I am busy with work and dont want to let the pool get neglected and have done this for years. This go round its been about 2 weeks. They are just a regular 3" dichlor tab. I use borax to raise PH as they are acidic and tend to drop my PH. I dont use bleach but rather liquid 12% chlorine from the pool store as its actually cheaper around here than bleach. Thats it. I dont use anything else in the pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The tabs are trichlor instead of dichlor. Look at the ingredient label on the tabs. Tell us what all it says. Some pool companies are making their pucks a blend of things, some of which you don't want in your pool ----- like copper! (Contrary to popular belief, it is copper and not chlorine that turns blonde hair green!)

I buy the pucks at different places depending on where I am. There are 2 stores I buy from. 1 by home and 1 by work. I actually dont have any containers right now. I dont really have a green hair problem though and I have some blonde nieces. I have black hair so for me its not a concern. I will check next time I buy a container though. I just filled the chlorinator so that will be in about 2 weeks or so.

How did you get that CYA reading you posted above and how long ago was that reading taken?

+ Reply to Thread