+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anxious New Member fight algae

Exclamation Anxious New Member fight algae

Trying to read about how to get my pool clean again after fighting it for 3 years. I'm sick of seeing green! Please complete my registration so I can read some more.
    Thanks,
    Kara

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Forum Rules (Acceptable Use Policy)

We are getting to those registrations as quickly as we can! In the meantime, you can still read the rest of the forum if you log out first. Also, use the google search in my signature instead of the forum software's search feature. Also, be sure you read over at our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Lots of good info there as well.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

EDIT: Looks like Janet and I were posting at the same time again!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Kara, until your registration is complete, you can log out and see/read almost the whole forum. You can also search the forum using the google search link in my sig, although you may have to log out in order to read the resulting threads.

If you'd like to post about your pool's problems, feel free to start a new thread, and we'll do our best to help. Welcome to the forum!
    Janet

Thank you. I am reading a thread on High CYA, Lots of Algae. I think this is my problem. I think my pool is about 26,000 and my CYA is approx. 150 and the Free Chlorine is approx. 2. I wonder how many gallons of bleach I need to buy...and can you purchase that many gallons at once?

I am trying to re-find the link to the Amazon page to get the test kit I need. Also, I LIKE the idea of using bleach, borax, and baking soda...seems old school and less likely to have weird and harmful ingredients added. Thanks for the info.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You can get the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C from the test kit page link in my signature below. Good decision to get one! In fact, since you think you have WAY high CYA, you'll have to have this kit because you will have to run higher than normal chlorine levels. See the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature. Since the K-2006 is only available online, you'll need a kit to use until the good kit arrives. Get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) / phenol test kit, or if available at YOUR Walmart (check availability), get the HTH 6-way DROPS test kit, which is compatible with the Taylor K2006. Test the pool as soon and you can, and post the results. If you get the 6-way kit, ALSO test the water you FILL the pool with, especially if it's a well, and post THOSE results as well. (The HTH is the best available kit you're likely to find locally, but it's not the K-2006. It can only provide rough measurements chlorine levels above 5 ppm, and it measures "TOTAL" hardness, rather than "CALCIUM" hardness, which is not ideal.)

Please fill out our pool chart with your pool's information. It makes it easier to help you.
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Also, post a current set of water testing results taken with a drops-based kit. Tell us what type of kit you used to get the results. Then, with the requested information, someone here will try and give you some advice.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

membership upgraded. -ben

+ Reply to Thread