+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PS234 Kit Salt Option/No Instructions

Default PS234 Kit Salt Option/No Instructions

I have received the PS234 Kit and have been using it for ~2 weeks for testing my pool. Love the Kit so far.

I am ready to bring my SWG on-line and began adding salt tonight. The problem I have is that even though I have purchased the kit with the salt option, I have no instructions for performing the salt test. All the other instructions are handily printed on the top cover of the test kit. There was a note on the contents list that the "PoolSolutions Test Kit Guide Book" will ship later.

I have searched this site for the Salt Kit instructions and cannot find them. I would appreciate it greatly if someone would please post the salt test instructions. My kit came with two reagents: Salt #1 (Potassium Chromate) and Salt #2 (Silver Nitrate).

Thanks in advance,

Pat.

Default Re: PS234 Kit Salt Option/No Instructions

Pat,

Although I ordered a 234s, back in April, I have yet to receive it so I can not be certain, but take a look at this thread: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1516

The thread starter gave his method of testing for salt and no one has said it was the wrong way to do it.

Sorry I can't help further.

Regards,

Mark

bbb is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst bbb 0

This *might* help, but is no substitute for true instructions.

I also ordered a PS234S kit (as an upgrade from my wonderful PS233) in early May but haven't received it yet. Since I am installing my SWG (it's a PoolPilot) this weekend, I want to have the pool ready with 3000 ppm of salt beforehand. I added 120 lbs of salt to my 20x40 pool yesterday, and I picked up a Taylor salt drop test kit from Leslie's earlier today for $21. I was able to easily establish that I was at 1200 ppm, so I added more salt tonight.

The Taylor kit is probably similar to the PS234S, but I have no idea of knowing for sure. The Taylor kit includes R-0630 for the Chromate Indicator and R-0718 for the Silver Nitrate reagent.

Ths instructions to measure for 1 drop = 200 ppm Sodium Chloride (which is the same ratio Ben mentions in the PS234 intro page ) are (in summary)

1) fill sample tube to 10mL mark
    2) add 1 drop R-0630 and swirl. Sample should turn yellow.
    3) Add R-0718 1 drop at a time, swirling and counting after each drop, until color changes from yellow to red. It says to always hold bottle in a vertical position. It also says not to add enough R-0718 to give a brown color - the first change from yellow to red is the endpoint
    4) Multiply drops of R-0718 by 200, and that is your salt level in ppm.

Once again, these are the Taylor instructions, and NOT Ben's instructions. I would not recommend using these instructions in Ben's kit unless the Taylor reagents are identical.
    Last edited by bbb; 05-23-2006 at 10:59 PM.
    bbb = bleach, borax, & baking soda

My kit had the instructions on a sticker inside the lid.

Thanks for the repsonses....

mark:
    It tried the 2ml method, and it took 21 drops (4200 ppm?) I'm not sure this is right, My aqualogic system reports Low Salt and ~2000 ppm.

bbb:
    I also tried the 10ml method you posted. The sample turned yellow, but I could never get it to turn red. I stopped after 40 drops.

mlh:
    My box has a sticker for all tests exept the salt test. Could you post the instructions regarding the salt test from the sticker on your test kit box.

thanks

Pat.

I think there is something wrong with the salt test kit. I have PM'ed Ben but have not heard anything back.

Check this out.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1516

1. Carefully fill the salt test tube to the 2 ml. line.
    2. Add just ONE drop of the salt #1 indicator (yellow).
    3. One at a time, add drops of the salt #2 reagent.
    Swirl sample after EACH drop. The sample will turn milky yellow.
    Swirl and drop, until the sample turns to reddish orange.
    Continue slowly adding drops until the sample REMAINS reddish orange after swirling.
    Each drop equals 200 ppm of chloride (salt); multiply number of drops x 200
    for result.
    4. Dispose of sample properly, and rinse sample tube carefully.

Hope this helps,

Mike

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

There possibly is a problem with some of the salt kits as has been documented in some of the other posting. Ben is reseaching this right now trying to pinpoint the cause or causes. The test seems to give high readings. As soon as he gets it straigtend out he is sending out the corrections. Just be patient.

As far as the correct way to do the test MLH posted it in the post above mine,
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

bbb is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst bbb 0

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    There possibly is a problem with some of the salt kits as has been documented in some of the other posting. Ben is reseaching this right now trying to pinpoint the cause or causes. The test seems to give high readings. As soon as he gets it straigtend out he is sending out the corrections. Just be patient.

As far as the correct way to do the test MLH posted it in the post above mine,
    Thanks, MLH, for posting the correct instructions, especially since Ben's test only requires 2 mL of pool water!

---
    BTW, here is a link to the test kit I am using in the meantime. If you can wait, though, the $13 price difference to add the Salt test to Ben's kit is a much better deal than the $21 for the Taylor kit.
    bbb = bleach, borax, & baking soda

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel49
    I am ready to bring my SWG on-line and began adding salt tonight. The problem I have is that even though I have purchased the kit with the salt option, I have no instructions for performing the salt test. All the other instructions are handily printed on the top cover of the test kit. There was a note on the contents list that the "PoolSolutions Test Kit Guide Book" will ship later.
    This was an oversight on our part; if you'll email me (pooldoc AT pool9 DOT net) your real name and address, I'll send you the labels via mail, along with a photo of how they are located.

A further note: please remember to use a clean tissue to wipe the tips on the CHL#2, the ALK#3, the CAL#3 and the SALT#2 before use. We've had a problem recently with tips not forming drops properly. In most (not all) cases, carefully wiping the tips first resolves the problem. But, you should wipe the tips each time you use the kit, for the next couple of times.

More later . . .

Ben

+ Reply to Thread