+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with best guess - math, cya and bleach and ph????

Default Need help with best guess - math, cya and bleach and ph????

Had a problem with multi value and leaking which you guys were SPOT on and that had been fixed, replaced the whole top piece and it is working wonderful! Thanks for that.

But here is the post - As you know we went thru the tornadoes last yr, we lost everything and not one bit of help from the insurance, so we have been slowly rebuilding and BROKE! We are make it back but slowly. We took over this house with a pool from my sister and her husband...who BELIEVED in the pool store and NOTHING else. Well opening the pool this yr was on use. It was a swamp and they INSISTED we use their pool store. So long story short - $450+ later (which we didn't have to spare) I say NO...went back to the old way I did things 10+ yrs ago. Which was ya'lls way. Anyway pool is almost perfect now.

The link in the value actually help bring the cya from 248 down to the 80's. Yea but now a $100.00 water bill (Oh well)

I don't have the Taylor kit yet, will be ordering after the first of the month and other bills are paid. I have been running samples to the pool store and have the guess strips.

Now to my question I need help guessing. It is a 30,000 IG vinyl pool, 40x18. So some how my cya had jumped back up to 92. My husband swears he didn't touch the in line generator, that has a couple tablets still in it but somehow by miracle it got turned on...he has since be banned from helping...

I had a little green algae on the morning shade side on the wall. As my cc was .76 as of the pool store the day before, I expected that and was gonna shock anyways, then vacuum. So it put in 6 lbs of cal hypo (found it on sale for $1.99 a bag and I had a 20% off, so it was cheaper than bleach this time, bought 24 bags).

Let it do its work over night brushing 3 good times over the 24 hrs and then vacuuming, REALLY REALLY Slow! As I wanted it get it out, and replace some of the water to lower my cya.

Here is what I did (I'm terrible at math so I need help) Vacuumed to waste 4 inches - replaced water, repeated vacuum to waste 4 more inching replace water to top of skimmer hole. So that was an extra 2 or so inches. Total of 10 inches. How much in gallons did I do? Pool calu. said to lower cya from 92 to 50 - replace 44% of water.

Since I don't have a test kit and pool store is closed - any ideas. As I trying to decide how much bleach or cal hypo to maintain my clean pool now. I did drop in 186oz bleach when I finished.

As my ph was 8.0...will that much water lower my ph too...hoping so.

Thanks for everything and sorry for the long post.
    18'x40' round 30K gal IG vinyl pool; cal hypo ; hayward sand filter; pump; 12hrs; Pool store and strips; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; ; PF:4

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Need help with best guess - math, cya and bleach and ph????

I can't do that math for you either, but if you'll go to WalMart and see if they have the hth 6-way drop kit, it has all the basic tests, including CYA, that you'll need until you can order the bigger kit. Your best bet would be to just run a set of numbers and go from there.

If the pH of your fill water is less than 8.0, then draining/refilling with lower pH fill water will probably have dropped your pH. IF your fill water is high in pH, then it's probably going to take some acid to lower it.

Kudos to you on using methods that you know are working for you--and having more $$ to spend where you need it, rather than at the pool store.

Keep in mind that the higher CYA is not necessarily a bad thing--it can drastically slow your chlorine loss, and allow you to dose the pool less times per week.....you just have to maintain a higher baseline chlorine to compensate. At first that might seem like it uses more chlorine, but it requires no more chlorine to shock a pool from 5 ppm to 15 ppm, than it does to shock it from 10 ppm to 20 ppm..... I run my pool at 80-90 ppm CYA on purpose, and I'm comfortable with running it even higher than that...it's just that my chlorine loss is less at 90 ppm than at any other value I've tried. (See the 'best guess chlorine chart" link in my sig for more information on that)
    Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You replaced approximately 4488 gallons, but ..... some of the water replaced on the second and third dumps would have been some of the new water. Whether or not water replacement will lower your pH depends on the pH of your fill water.

Get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) / phenol test kit, or if available at YOUR Walmart (check availability), get the HTH 6-way DROPS test kit, which is compatible with the Taylor K2006. Either one of these will help you in the meantime until you get the good kit. (If it is available, get the HTH 6-Way as it can measure CYA. The OTO/Phenol Red kit cannot but is better than nothing.

EDIT: Looks like Jan was posting while I was typing. The way I figured out how much water you replaced was converting all your measurements into inches 40ft = 480 inches, 18ft = 216 inches. So, you replaced a volume of 480x216x10 = 1,036,800 cubic inches. A gallon is 231 cubic inches so I divided that number by 231 and got 4,488 gallons. But, like I said, each time you did an additional partial drain, you weren't just dumping old water but also some of the new water.

Tried the walmart kit at the first of this month but they were all out and would not be rendering. I am over the limit on credit cards until the first on July. that is why I can't order the kit online until then. I have been just using what I have strips and pool store test.
    18'x40' round 30K gal IG vinyl pool; cal hypo ; hayward sand filter; pump; 12hrs; Pool store and strips; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; ; PF:4

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Did Walmart have a cheap OTO kit? They don't cost much.

Yeah they have those but can't even do that right now. It looks like from the guess sticks...I have lowered my cya alot reading 30-50. If that is truly the case, I am gonna turn on the inline clorinator and let the tablets that are in there get used up, as never to have anyone turn it on again It should lower my ph with the use of triclor and it seems like a can afford the raise in cya a little. Am I thinking right here or not? I will be taken a sample to the pool store tomorrow

Look at your manual for your SWCG. Each model has its own CYA requirements with most saying around 80pm or so.

I don't have salt. It is a tablet clorinator.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaran2 View Post
    I don't have salt. It is a tablet clorinator.
    OOPS! I think I was confusing you with someone else I was advising who has an SWCG. Sorry 'bout that!

Trichlor will lower pH. That is true. But, having a test strip tell you your CYA is between 30-50 isn't really too useful as they are known to be inaccurate. If your CYA is 30, then you can use some pucks for awhile. If your CYA is 50, you're at the high end of the level we typically suggest.

Why don't you wait and see what the pool store tells you tomorrow about your CYA level before you decide to turn the chlorinator back on. I hope they use the 'disappearing black dot' test as that is the only one we trust. Ask them.

+ Reply to Thread