+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump Not Priming

Cool Pump Not Priming

18x32 Oasis, In In Ground with Vinyl Liner. Pool has run fine past two summers. Just tried to backwash pool and pump will not prime to draw water back to filter. Also tried to run in filter mode with no luck. Have tried to add water direct to lines and to pump baskets. Bled air from filter, but not getting any water to it.

Any help appreciated.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Pump Not Priming

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but is your pool's water level high enough to allow the pump to prime? Mine won't if I don't have at least 4 inches or so of water above the top of the skimmer basket.....do you hear any odd noises coming from around the skimmer while it's trying?

Any possibility of an air leak--is the lid on the pump basket tightened securely?
    Janet

Shifty is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Shifty 0

Janet,

I had a similar problem the other day. I could not hold prime. It kept fluctuating. The reason I couldn't hold prime was because my water level got too low on the skimmer. I added water just as you suggested in post #2 and the prime held.
    American Titan SS DE Filter; Multiport; 18'x36' grecian 24K gal IG krystalkrete (super blue) plaster; BBB and trichlor pucks for CYA; Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar; Taylor K-2006; The Pool Cleaner Auto Vac (4 wheels)

Thanks for the feedback.

Turned out that it was a pump issue (Hayward 1HP). Impellar was rotating, but not getting enough suction. Seals worn-ended up replacing motor, but learned a lot about maintenance of gaskets, seals, etc and need to address any small leaks immediately.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Yeah, there's nothing like having to take the pump apart that will teach you the lesson of: Don't ignore that little leak, because it can cause you BIG problems down the road! Glad you got it solved.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread