+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: yellow algae

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: yellow algae

There is a thread in the notes and announcements section where you can give the corrections that need to be made to your Pool Chart Entry.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If you'll look at the Best Guess page linked in our signatures, it will explain why, and give you the chlorine levels that you need to eradicate mustard algae. In your case, it will probably take 25 - 30 ppm sustained over a week or so, plus brushing. You'll have to get a K-2006 test kit (see test kit info page) to measure and control those levels.

There are other ways to do it, but they have other complications, too.

bleach is 6% concentrate and chlorine at orcharde supply is 10% and cost is not much higher

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If it is 10% sodium hypochlorite and a better price and fresh, they buy it. One thing I will tell you is that higher concentrated sodium hypo sometimes isn't the percentage it is advertised at especially if it isn't fresh. Here's a way to test the concentration of your bleach...I copied this from CarlD, one of the other mods, that had posted it a long time ago...

Put ten liters of tap water ( That's 5 soda-bottles full) in a 5 gallon bucket.

Test that water for chlorine using the FAS-DPD test to get a chlorine baseline (you may have some).

Then I take a 1 ml eyedropper full of the LC or bleach I'm testing and put it in the bucket and mix it up.

(1 ml in 10 liters of water is the same as putting 1 gallon of LC in a 10,000 gallon pool -- it's 1/10,000th. )

I then measure the bucket with the FAS-DPD test just like pool water. Of course, subtract any chlorine you measured in the tap water.

I use a glass eyedropper so it will hold up. Pharmacies sell them.

been shocking pool like u recomended & still have alge or stain.water is crystal clear. been adding 3gal of 10% chlorine everynite. have a reading of over 23 ppm. next morn reads 20ppm. combined chlor is o. all my other chemicals r right on. lose about 10ppm chlor thoughout the day.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If you're still losing 3 ppm of chlorine overnight, then you're still fighting something in the water and need to maintain the shock level.

Janet
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by ronjorob View Post
    still have alge or stain.water is crystal clearhave a reading of over 23 ppm. next morn reads 20ppm.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    In your case, it will probably take 25 - 30 ppm sustained over a week or so, plus brushing.

+ Reply to Thread