+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lime Green Water now -- Metals?

Unhappy Lime Green Water now -- Metals?

I have an 18'x36'x3'-8' pool. 30,000 gallons. In Acworth, GA (about 35 miles north of Atlanta). I am currently at a Lime Green Water. My pool store has given up. I will start with last fall -- After a pool party here at my house in August, and I shocked the pool, a brown ring appeared around the pool where the wall meet the floor. We tried a little of everything, and then finally, pool store said metals, and stain remover + metal treatment. That got the ring, but metals did not leave. I went thru 3-4 metal treatments over the next month or so. I was not able to get the metals out of the pool when it came time to close - I ran out of money. - so..... I didn't close the pool - just dropped the water level and protected the pump and sand filter-- BIG mistake. Anyway - fast forward to this spring -- we started with a pretty much black pool -- LOTS of leaves, frogs, snakes - a real swamp. We scooped leaves - and filled the pool -- Shock, shock, and more shock. We checked and metals were still there - so more metal treatments. Pool finally got a dark shade of green. We used pool store's Green to Clean+ shock with no results. Then pool turned brown -- We changed out the Sand in the Sand Filter. shock -- Soda Ash, and metal treatment -- Alum -- At this point we reached a lime green color - but could not see bottom. soda ash -- metal treatment - and Super Floc. We are now at an even lighter green - but pool store is saying that the metals are thru the roof again. I'm having them test my 2 water sources (two spikots both from county water) tomorrow for metals coming into the pool. They are suggesting drain pool and fill with trucked in water. I'm at my wits end with this thing -- between last fall and this spring - I've dropped over $1500 to no avail. Please Help Me!!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Lime Green Water now -- Metals?

Ok, take a deep breath a step back a couple of steps. Looks like what the pool store forgot to tell you is that the metal treatments don't actually remove the metals from the pool. They just keep them in suspension in the water. Also, the treatments are slowly degraded by chlorine, so it's something that you have to add on a periodic basis to keep the metals from staining your pool. OR...you can choose to remove the metals completely, but you do need to check the source of your fill water to make sure you're not just adding more. So....even though you have a large pool, please read through this sticky designed for Intex owners with well water, because it mostly applies to you, too. It will give you an idea of what you're looking at to clear the water up. After you digest this, then come back and post your thoughts, and we can help you go from there.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...est-for-metals
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...water!&p=95155

While you're at it, please take a few minutes and fill out this info about your pool--it will help us help you better without a lot of back-and-forth posting to get basic info we need...
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results

Welcome to the forum!!
    Janet

OK -- When I first started opening my pool -- I put a CuLater packet in the skimmer. Not real sure of results tho... It is not there now - and I have metals. I Think we have attempted 7c -- dropping it to the bottom trying to use both Super Floc and Alum at different times -- but pool store had me lower the chlorine for both of these attempts - we raised the ph tho. Little results. Still can not see the bottom. Pool store is recommending changing out the Sand for ZeoSand. I had put 50lbs of zeosand in when I changed my 300 lbs filter just a week or so ago. But they are suggesting I put all zeosand. I have one more CuLater packet -- should I put that in the skimmer? What are your thoughts about the zeosand?

Now I can't get back to the links to allow my son to read it as well......

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Until your registration is completed, you'll need to log out to be able to see the rest of the forum. So, log out and then look on the homepage for the subforum called "Pool Chemistry for Intex-type Pools." The first two threads in that section are the ones that Janet advised you to read. (I assume that those are the two that you wanted to show your son.)

Hope this helps you.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You're going to need to keep your pH low (7.0-7.4), your chlorine low, and the metal sequestrant in the water. If you have the Culator, go ahead and put it in the skimmer--it won't hurt, and it may help!

I have zeo in my filter, just because I wanted to try it--but honestly I don't see any difference between zeo and sand when it comes to filtration--the zeo is more expensive but you have to haul less of it--that's the only advantage I see. Shouldn't make any difference one way or another with your metals situation.

Thanks, Watermom - I was able to get to it that way.

We are currently doing a blind vacuum - to waste - to remove anything that may have fallen to the bottom of the pool with this last Alum treatment. We know it had to have dropped something - we can now see the third step in the shallow end. we could barely see the second before. Once we've completed that vacuum task, I'm going to put the CuLator in the skimmer, and see if that does anything over the next 24 hours. We'll let you know.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Please do let us know about your results (good or bad) with the CuLator. We are trying to collect as many people's experiences with this product as possible.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Your membership has been upgraded.

Regarding the CuLator, one thing we have found is that they seem to work, but SLOWLY. Actually, given their mode of action, they can't act quickly. So . . . putting a CuLator bag in for a day will have little effect. A month is a more reasonable period. That's why we've been recommending using them only under a skimmer sock, so they don't get fouled by pool goo. I'll put links below.

Also, the metal HAS to be in soluble form (ie, before staining) for the CuLator to work. So you have to lift the stains (maybe with Vitamin C, ascorbic acid; suspend the metals with HEDP and THEN use the CuLator for a month. Don't bother with the Culator now. Instead do these things:

1. Get a K2006 testkit ASAP, and tell us what your water levels are. (info page link in my signature)
    2. Run your filter 24/7
    3. Remove all tabs from your feeder and the skimmer.
    4. Dose each EVENING with 3 gallons of PLAIN 6% household bleach, added one gallon at a time via the skimmer, each gallon spaced at least 5 minutes apart.
    5. Get some polyquat (info page) ASAP and add 1 cup via the skimmer each MORNING.
    6. Stay the heck away from that store unless you need parts; do NOT get zeosand!
    7. While vacuuming, try to see whether picked up dirt is blowing through the filter, and back into the pool. If it's not, vacuum as much as you can, so long as there's something to pick up. By the way, you need a WHEELED vac head to remove floc; brush vacuums tend to stir it up.
    like this one: Poolmaster 27200 Flexible Metal Handle Vacuum @ Amazon
    8. Get a cheap OTO/phenol red drops kit from Walmart, so you can at least tell us the pH and chlorine levels.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-27-2012 at 06:58 PM.

ok - Pool is now blue -- but still VERY cloudy. Can only BARELY see the third step in the shallow end. Can not see the bottom of the pool. Chlorine 2-4 PH 6.8 Alk 80 I have turned the Chlorinator off. I have not had the chance to get the Polyquat -- it was too expensive at the pool store. I will order online, and have it shipped. I do not understand about the bleach and muratic acid. Please explain. How long will the process take to clear up the water?

+ Reply to Thread