+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do with test result water?

Default What to do with test result water?

Hello,
    Like the post says....Is it OK to pour the test vile/water/chemicals back in the pool or should I pour it on the lawn or what?

I have not used this kit before this week, sorry for the silly question.

Kevin

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: What to do with test result water?

Not a silly question at all. In fact it is a very good question!
    NOT a good idea to pour your test water with reagents back into the pool. You really don't want to be swimming in them. I pour mine down the utiltiy sink and run the water to dilute any reagents. I am on a septic system but I don't feel the tiny amount of chemicals will have any effect. For comparison, if you color your hair at home and wash it off in the shower you are putting a LOT more chemicals down the drain (and some of that might be DPD and related phenylendiames); or look at the ingredients in such household products as toilet bowl cleaner and such. FAR larger amounts of those chemicals go down the drain every day then the tiny amounts in the water from your test kit vials.
    IMHO, pour it down the sink!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

I have a small bucket that I carry with me to the pool specifically for the test water and the first rinse after completing each test. When I'm done testing, I dip the bucket into the pool to fill it ~1/2 way (to dilute my little testwater cocktail) and then find an inconspicuous place to dump it - if there's some gravel or a rock on the edge of the property, that's my 1st choice. Dumping the tested water back into the pool is a big no-no, if for no other reason than the pH test negates the alk test (just do both tests back to back and dump the water into the same bucket; red + red = green )
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Watermom,
    Me too--that's one advantage to being a country girl!

Janet

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

Having spent a fair amount on sod following pool construction and now on maintenance of same, I just dump my test water back into pool. Only do full run of tests every other week or so, and chlorine and pH every other day.

If a group of kids are in the pool on a weekly basis, the contaminants they introduce into the pool is way more hazardous than a few cc's from testing.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

CaryB
    Go 'Canes!

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

I pour mine in the mulch, or sometimes right on the pavers. Never had a problem yet.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Wow that is a lot of answers...keep them coming so I can which one comes up the most - haha.

Over the last week I have done them all.

thanks again Kevin

cajunfla is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst cajunfla 0

I just came across this thread. WOW, I didn't realize that 5 drops were that toxic that I should not be throwing it back into 6400 gallons of pool water. Hope I don't accidentally get any drops on my skin. If 5 drops will harm that much pool water, what does it do when thrown directly to the grass if I throw it out in the yard?

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

The boogey man come to get you!!!
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread