+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pool owner - told to drain pool - Need advice PLEASE!

Default New pool owner - told to drain pool - Need advice PLEASE!

Hi Everyone,

Great forum here, tons of info!

I just bought a house with a nice in ground pool spa and waterfall combo.
    and I know zero about pools outside of swimming in them so im a lot green.

I took a water sample to the pool store and they told me I will have to drain my pool and refill it so they can give me the right chemicals.
    They said there are to many chemicals in it already and that the calcium is way to high.

This is my first experience at a pool store and these guys didnt seem like the brightest. After reading through some posts here I see that may be a common thing at pool stores.

I want to know about my pool and not rely on anyone having to tell me what it needs. I really like the BBB method and am thinking since I have to drain my pool anyhow than maybe I should start out with somthing I have control of.
    Any direction or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I know my pool must be able to drain itself. I have tried to get it to work (the spa was easy it had a label on the box) but with so many valves and pipes I dont know which to turn. Shouldnt I be able to make it drain or will I need a pump? (For plumbing I have a waterfall, with pool and spa pump and a heater - all automated)

Thanks,

Ken

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: New pool owner - told to drain pool - Need advice PLEASE!

Absolutely do not drain the water until you have a set of drop-based test results for somebody to look at. Is this a chlorine or Bacquacil pool? If a chlorine pool, then please get a good test kit (we recommend the K-2006 kit linked in my sig) and run a set of tests on your water. Post them here and we can probably get you going without draining the water. Also take a few seconds and fill out this chart about your pool info so we don't waste a lot of time going back and forth asking basic equipment questions.

Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results

Draining is a pretty drasic measure, and there's no reason for you to do so if you don't have to. I don't know your pool store guys, but I already distrust everything they've told you based on the statement that there are "to many chemicals in it already". Sounds like they want to sell you some more. Don't buy into it. Let us look at some solid numbers and we'll be happy to help you go from there.

Welcome to the forum!!
    Janet

Thats good news. Thanks, I sure hope I dont need to drain.
    I will get a sample and post results.
    I will also fill in the pool info as soon as im back home.

Also,
    When I click your link for the test kit it says im not allowed.
    Can you give me the web adress?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Try logging out and see if that helps any....until your registration is complete you may have to log out to see any search result of any kind. In the meantime I'll get Ben to take a look and see if thre's something that needs fixing.

While you're waiting for your 2006, you might check your local WalMart and see if they have the hth 6-way drop kit--it's a re-branded Taylor kit and is compatible with the 2006. It would let you get an immediate set of numbers that we can look at....

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

what it can i buy locally to get some data or can I just get the readout from the pool store?
    it doesnt look like i can get one of those kits recommended in the link for a few days at least.
    there are alot of kits on there, do i need them all? which are the important ones?

thanks

here is my pool store data from a week and a half ago.
    I have added shock in the pool twice and added water since then
    I am going to get another readout and I will post.

FAC = 0
    TAC = 0
    CH = 880
    CYA = 21
    TA = 80
    pH = 7.8
    TDS = 4200
    Pho = 300

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Order a K2006

2. Take a sample of whatever water your fill your pool with into your dealer, and have them test it. Dealer tests aren't reliable, but a CH reading of 880 is not likely to be off by enough to make a difference. In particular, I'd like to see the TDS, phosphate, and CH results on your fill water. (If your fill water is not better than your pool water on those measurements, there's little point to draining.) Also let us know if water is particularly expensive, or if you are under any sort of water restrictions -- INCLUDING problems with having nowhere to put 19,000 gallons!

3. Read the muriatic acid page linked in my signature, get some, and lower your pH to 7.0 - 7.2

4. Get an OTO / phenol red drops kit from Walmart AND several gallons of PLAIN household 6% bleach. Add 2 gallons (about 6 ppm FC) in the evening; test your chlorine level 1 hour later. Test again the following morning. Let us know if it drops significantly overnight.

+ Reply to Thread