+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool green 15,000 gallons

Exclamation Pool green 15,000 gallons

As a newbie with no kit and having and battling a pool for two years I have decided to fight back. I have well water with metals. I have a 15000 gallon blue haven pool 5 years old with plaster. It was unkept for a year and drained and brought up last year. I battled with it all summer and it went to green over the winter until i could get a new pump. In the past two months I have put in a ton of chemicals and wasted hundreds of dollars to still have a green pool that wont hold chlorine. I have flocced the pool at their recommendation but it was still green and so i vacuumed it to waste what I could and drained the water down to the jets. Then I filled with well water. It is now a clearer green and will now hopefully hold chlorine. I bought clorox and borax and mule team. I need to get polyquat to be ready. I put metal magic a quart in the pool and hopeully can get it to hold chlorine and get rid of the green. I am relying on the stores water tests until I can order my own set. What should be my next step? I was going to have the metals tested and if acceptable levels add clorox. Is this right? I have a big cartridge filter a 1.5 horse pump and a 15,000 gallon gunite pool. thanks

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Pool green 15,000 gallons

Get a good kit--the K-2006, to begin with. Until it gets here, see if you can get your hands on the hth 6-way kit that some WalMarts sell, run a set of tests on your water, and post them back here. Keep the chlorine in the 3- 5 ppm range using bleach while you get a water analysis on your well water. You can go ahead and add a dose of Polyquat to help control algae, but you need to make sure it doesn't completely deplete your chlorine.

Is your water green and cloudy, or green and clear? To help us help you better, could you please take a few seconds and fill this short form out with info about your pool, so we don't waste a lot of time asking basic questions back and forth?
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Janet

I thought I shouldnt add anything until the metal magic had been in there 12 hours.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-08-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: fix pics => Picasa

Mine was green and now is cloudy and blue.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Membership upgraded. -ben

(there are some stickies in the "Metals" section of the forum -- where I'm moving your thread -- that may help.)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Another one. Darn. Now your thread is moved where it should be, so you can post again!

Cool Re: Pool green 15,000 gallons

Woohoo I can post.

OK I got a pool sample today.I will be using the pool store until I can get a kit.

free chlorine =0ppm
    total chlorine=.3ppm
    combined chlorine =.3
    ph = 7.4
    hardness=290 ppm
    alkalinity w stabilizer correction=129ppm
    cyanuric acid=5ppm
    copper=0
    iron=0
    total diss solids=1500ppm

They recommend adding 1/2 gal acid, 2lbs stabilizer and 5 lbs shock. I have been using super zappit but recently switched to clorox but I dont know how much to add.Any help appreciated. thanks in advance.

Man in my picture it looks good lol. It iwas just cloudy I hate to add stabilizer while it keeps eating chlorine. I need help lol.

Is the pool still green now? As you kill off the algae, it will go from green to clearer but cloudy and bluish until clearing up afterwards.

Good read here.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...You-have-ALGAE!!!

To compute the amount of bleach/liquid chlorine this calculator is excellent.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...18-bleach-calc

Your ph at 7.4 is good, so I don't see why they want you to add 1/2 gallon of acid as that will reduce the ph, and makes no sense. Stabilizer can come after you get the water cleared up.

The experts will way in, but for now, if the pool is not clear, you need to get the chlorine level way up above 10 ppm and keep it there until the water is clear. Chlorine is used up as algae is killed, so you need to check the chlorine level a couple of times a day and add bleach as needed to keep the level up.

When you shock and the free chlorine goes to zero, it gives the algae a chance to bounce back and you lose ground.
    IG 32' x 16', vinyl 19,500 l, Sand filter, Hawyard Low NOx 250,000 btu heater
    Heating? Great info on why a solar cover saves $$$?
    http://energy.gov/energysaver/articl...ng-pool-covers

Ok thanks. I will keep adding clorox daily till it clears.

+ Reply to Thread