+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First time adding chemicals to 18x48 intex ultra frame pool..HELP!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: First time adding chemicals to 18x48 intex ultra frame pool..HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblueiz77 View Post
    Is there any way to lower ph naturally?
    Had to laugh at this -- it's not your fault, but the main-stream media has successfully promoted a brain-dead paranoia about anything with a 'chemical-sounding' name, based on the fact that the average MSM journalist (a) knows less than the average 5th grader about science, and (b) knee-jerks agreement with anything Greenpeace does and says, no matter how stupid and uninformed. The reason your question is so funny, is that muriatic acid *is* natural: your stomach is full of it, though it's usually called "hydrochloric acid" in biology texts!

Along the same line, Penn Jillette, of Penn and Teller, did a hilarious piece a few years ago getting college students at an eco-conference to sigh a petition banning "dihydrogen monoxide", AKA "water". Just about everybody they approached, signed. (Caution: not all the language is family safe!)

Now, the muriatic acid you'll buy at Lowes is more concentrated than what's in your stomach . . . but it's the same stuff. There's a link to a page about handling it safely in my signature.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You have to use acid to lower the pH. Read the guide in my signature below about using muriatic acid. Baking soda is used to raise alk.

I do not understand what you are saying about the CYA test. What kind of kit are you using. Is your CYA test the "disappearing black dot test?" Please explain the procedure you are doing to run that test.

CYA is kind of like sunscreen for your chlorine. Without it, your chlorine is quickly lost to the sun.

You should probably go ahead and post a complete set of current water testing results and tell us what kind of kit you used to obtain them.

I also would like for you to put your pool's information in our pool chart. It will make it easier for us to help you.
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    Regarding posting a new question ------- is it a different topic than this current thread? If so, you must first be logged in. Then, once you are in the correct sub-forum where you want to create a new thread, in the upper left section is a place to click to start a new thread. Try again. (BTW -- There is a practice section of the forum near the bottom of the forum homepage if you want to give it a practice try first.)

babyblueiz77 is offline ** No working email address ** babyblueiz77 0

I used the Taylor 6000 test kit my father gave me to test my pool yesterday. The only instructions that i have are the one's in the lid of the test kit box. My levels for chlorine, pH and alkalinity were on in the normal range. I started to do the "TA" drops and I was unsure of how to determine when to stop adding additional drops of the solution. The test for the "CYA" explained when to stop adding drops when the solution turns from green to red. I added 5 drops to the Alkalinity solution and that requires 50 parts of CYA to be added.My solution was more of a hot pink rather than red. I added up to 7 drops and they color never changed so I calculated from 5 when it first changed from green to this color. I am unsure where to purchase CYA besides a pool store. Do they sell it at Lowe's along with the muriatic acid?

I then used the saltwater test strips that came with my SWCG. The chlorine levels were a little lighter(almost low), but the pH was hot pink, which I'm assuming is off the charts since the highest color on the color chart for the strips is orange. I then read on here that using the strips is not reliable. I will do another test tonight and record all of my numbers for review. We purchased the SWCG in hopes that adding additional chemicals for the most part would be eliminated. So much for that.

Thanks for all of your help.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-10-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: replaced phone typed post with keyboarded post

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You've gotten some parts of the test kit mixed up. Watch ALL the videos on this page: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...7-Taylor-K2006, and it will get you up to speed.

I hope you mean a "Taylor K2006" and not a "Taylor 6000".

Also, some of your typing is not clear; I have no idea what it means when you write "I was book.g when I" or "I also used a sw test strip and that is what said my ph was high", or even "All the rain aol probably make the chlorine low". I could make a guess at two of those -- but we try to avoid guessing too much where chemicals are involved.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-10-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: add 6000 vs K2006 note

babyblueiz77 is offline ** No working email address ** babyblueiz77 0

Ok. On my Taylor K2006 test kit, my results were as follows:
    FC .5ppm
    Br 1ppm
    TC .5ppm
    ph 7.2
    TA-5 drops til red was 5, so that is 50 ppm's if i multiply 5x10.
    My Dad gave me this kit and I do not have a little clear bottle to complete the CYA test. Does the sample usually change colors? The video from Taylor looked cloudy but clear. If anyone has suggestions on another way to perform this test please let me know tips. If not, I will purchase a bottle this weekend. I am missing the instruction manual to my kit along with that little bottle. My kit does not have the cylindar that you fill up with sample water attached. It is seperate. When getting my samples, I filled the pool water up to the 25ml mark on all tests. The cl and br looked light pink in the cylindar, but when i poured it into the actual chart to compare next to the colors, it looked clear. Again, in the cylindar, it was at the .5 color level when placed next to the chart.
    I did not use the test strips this time since they apparently give false readings. Based on this, I am thinking my Br , TC and FC levels are low. When I subracted the TC .5 from the FC .5 it equals 0. Please let me know what needs to be done next. Thanks for your help.

You have no bromine readings, unless you've added bromine. If you have a new K2006, you should have everything shown in the video. And, you wouldn't be getting a TC result; you'd be getting a CC result, and have to determine TC by addition.

I assume you are matching colors, to determine chlorine? That's K2005, not a K2006. But, even a K2005 should have EVERYTHING shown in the CYA video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8whkC5WtS8g

I'm not quite sure what's going on with you, or your pool. I think we both need to step back, and reconsider.

I'd suggest that you add 1/2 gallon of 6% bleach to your pool and cover it. That will keep it for a few days.

Then, let's figure out what sort of test kit you have, what you are measuring, whether you want to follow BBB approach to pool chemistry . . . and then whether you have the stuff on hand needed. I think we are both just spinning our wheels at present.

+ Reply to Thread